f

Friday, October 17, 2014

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

Good Morning and Happy Friday!!!
As I shared a few days ago, I am enjoying a few days of relaxation. But before I left, I put this top together for today's post. I wore the top on Wednesday to a concert and luncheon and everyone went crazy over it. I was especially pleased with how it turned out. It's just a t-shirt pattern with a rectangular extension. SUPER easy!!! Sadly, I did not get any pictures of me in the top, but I think you will be able to get an idea of how the top is made.
The T-Shirt Shawl
Above you see that only one side has a sleeve. Below you see the rectangle extension on the other side. Hmmm, I should have pressed the hem before I took the picture, opps!!!
To hold the top in place on the body, I stitched a vertical line about 3" long at the waistline on the extension side.
 The extension is open from the shoulder to the hem.
To do top, use a basic top pattern that you like and that fits well. Cut out the armhole and side seam on one side and the entire neckline. On the opposite side at the shoulder, draw a straight line out from the neckline. The length should be your measurement from your neckline to your wrist. Square the line down to the hem. And that's it! As I said, it's super easy and it looks super great!!!
This is also a great idea for border prints. I used the border print across the body and then to continue the pattern, I used it on the sleeve as well.
Be sure to let me know if you give this a try. I think you are going to love it if you do!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

14 comments:

  1. This does look super fun and easy to do! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why it brought forth so many nice comments. That' is a wonderful top. The fabric is slightly gorgeous as well and so perfect for this application.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this top. The design is brilliant and the fabric is gorgeous. Top pattern matching on the sleeve/body too. That is inspired. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rhonda! I love simple elegance like your pattern offers. However, I would sure love to see it on you. :-) I thought the hem of the T-shirt was stitched all way to the end of the "sleeve," but in your last image, it appears that several inches of the "sleeve" are not "closed" at the end. Does my description make sense?

    Thanks and have a great weekend!
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, the one side has a normal set in sleeve. The other side is basically a rectangle so it is not stitched down. I did do a tack at the waist to help hold the top in place, but that's it. I hope I answered your question. I am going to post a bad selfy picture this morning so everyone can see what it looks like on the body.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! Another stunning Rhonda creation! Looking in my fabric stash today for possible fabrics! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting and elegant top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Rhonda.............will I ever get around to drafting the pattern and making this? I really hope so.
    Thank you for sharing this with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So simple, but such dramatic effect! I love it, Rhonda, and would love to see it on you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the top Rhonda! Beautiful!!! You are so talented! I have a sweater that I purchased years ago that is of the same style. I was going to use it to make a pattern to recreate the look, however, your instructions are easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy! The top is so easy to make and yet has such a dramatic look.

      Delete