f

Monday, October 6, 2014

Me Made Mondays

I'm very happy as there were a number of you who participated in Me Made Monday last week. Thanks for joining in!
Last Saturday my husband and I attended a formal dance. Take note that I said we attended. We started taking dance lessons in June and I thought we were doing fairly well. Not the case as it turned out. I have always wanted to learn to dance and to be able to dance at least fairly well. As much as I feel like throwing in the towel, I have decided to dig my heels in and not let this dancing thing get the best of me. I'm going to learn to dance if it's the last thing I do!!! 
The theme of the dance was western wear and Texas in particular. Well, that's right up my alley. I wore the bustier I made to wear with this dress, and the skirt was made using a vintage hand painted Mexican skirt from the 1950's.    

I strapped on one of my belts, a little turquoise and silver jewelry, pulled on a pair of boots and I was ready to go. 
What I found interesting was that everyone could believe that I made the skirt, but they just couldn't believe that I made the bustier.
I don't think I've ever shown you an interior shot of the bustier.
The lower portion of the skirt began life as a vintage skirt as I said. These skirts are typically big circular skirts. I thought it worked well as the bottom of my skirt. All I did was use my basic straight skirt pattern for the top portion and then attached the vintage skirt to the bottom. Each panel is a scene from old Mexico.
The skirt was a size large and even with it around the lower portion of my thighs, I had to be a little creative with adding some darts to make it fit, but I was very happy with the final result.
So here's your chance to show off something you wore either today or this past week. Just click on the link button and show us what you wore!





Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

17 comments:

  1. What a hot outfit and kudos to you for saving that vintage skirt! I also applaud you for taking dance lessons. I've been ballroom dancing for years, it's great exercise and and a great social outlet. I'm sure there are tons of studios in your area that have dances every weekend. Keep it up! The waltz and the rumba are just box steps, after all. Then graduate to turns, and the cha-cha. All easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left the dance so disappointed, but then I thought about it a little more. There was a guy in our class who had done competition dancing while he was in college. He took the class because his girlfriend wanted to learn to dance and he wanted to support her. He was a beautiful dancer and I danced really well with him. That's why I thought I was doing at least okay. But I have no idea what a number of the people were doing with whom I danced. So, I am going to keep trying. And you gave me some good advice. I'm going to look into other possibilities for dancing.
      BTW, I met a friend of yours at the American Sewing Expo. She was so, so sweet. Just a treat to meet her. Too bad I didn't get to meet you too. Maybe another time :)

      Delete
  2. That's a dancing dress for sure. And good for you in taking it out for a spin. Just treat learning to dance like learning how to sew...remember that?!! It takes awhile, a lot of just doing it, and unstoppable enthusiasm with no time for feeling bad. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think with anything we need to take a step back and look at the things we do well and realize that it came with a lot of effort. Thanks for reminding me :)

      Delete
  3. That is one sassy bit of Western Wear, Rhonda! Love it. I bet your dancing was better than you think. We are all so self critical sometimes. And with that dress, you could have flubbed any dance and still looked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband commented about how nice I looked. I told him, "it's all about putting a girl in her native costume ;)"
      The dancing was not pretty and in years past, that would have been enough to make me quit. But, I'm learning to get mad and stick with it!!
      Thanks for the compliment Bunny :)

      Delete
  4. Marvelous! And you wear it so well! Texas Two Step must have been fabulous in that dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bustier and fancy skirt! I bet those fancy dancers couldn't sew up an outfit like you can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one hot dance number. Stick wight he dancing it a wonderful thing to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so accomplished in so many areas, and have so much determination, that I'm confident that you will prevail in the dancing too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bustier is perfect. The shape and fit are just lovely. You look fabulous in that outfit. The painting on the skirt is great. Never thought of painting one like that. Stick with the dancing, even if it just so you can show us your beautiful outfits. I am sure it will become fun sooner than you think. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your outfit looked great! Don't be discouraged. I'm sure you did better than you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfit! We did some dancing this weekend too!....with all these weddings coming up, we decided to find a YouTube video on the fox trot, and my DH & I, and my 2 daughters and their fiances pushed the furniture out of the way and had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to dance hula and was so, so, so discouraged when I first started. It took practice, dedication and will power to get to performance level. You'll be steppin' to the music in no time at all; just wait and see! A lot of fun, laughter and an outfit that wows the crowd...what more could a girl ask for? You've got it!

    ReplyDelete