f

Friday, October 10, 2014

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

Sweeping Rectangles

First came the top version which you saw here.
Then the skirt version that you saw here.
And now the dress version with pockets. I was asked if pockets could be added and the answer is yes. There are 2 ways to add pockets. One method would be to do an in seam pocket on either side of the center front panel, or you can add pockets to the contrast panel like I did.
I wore this out to dinner with a friend last Sunday night and she LOVED the dress. In fact so much so that she will be coming over soon to make one for herself. I like the pockets, but if I were to do it again, I would raise them up about 2", so closer to the waistline. Let me know if you would like for me to do a tutorial on adding the pockets and I will be happy to do so.
Now you see that the method works well with a top, skirt and a dress.
All of the basic instructions can be found here.
I have to do a little bragging. I always love it when someone actually gives one of my ideas a try. This is Jonadele of http://jonadelefashions.blogspot.com/2014/10/rhonda-busss-t-shirt.html
She ran a little short on her fabric, so the lower panel wasn't as long as she would have liked, but she was very happy with the outcome. I think there will be more in her future :) Great job!!!
If you decide to give the top, skirt or dress a try, be sure to let me know so I can brag on you as well!!
This design goes together so quickly. You could make a pile over the weekend ;) Actually, you really could! It's just that easy to do. Good Luck!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. Love it-love it. This is definitely on my sewing list for this fall. Will post pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to let me know Robin. Sometimes I miss things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know I love the top. Made from my TNT pattern from 2007 it is a great way to modernize an old standard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, are you psychic as well as amazingly talented? This is a holiday weekend in Canada and sewing is on the agenda. I saw some RTW dresses in a similar style and was planning to fiddle around creating this look - but you've done it for me and your other grateful readers!
    Also, I'm a teacher and read one of your blog post where you mentioned feeling like you are working and posting in a vacuum sometime. I think all teachers worry about that, even those of us who can physically see our students. Please know that your efforts are not invisible and that you are positively reaching out and helping to spread your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I really appreciate it.
      If you don't mind, send pictures. I'd love to see your creation!

      Delete