f

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sunday's Supper

My husband, like so many, loves classic Macaroni and Cheese. I recently tweaked it a bit, and he now has a new favorite dish.

Grilled Cauliflower with Macaroni and Cheese 

There are 2 keys to this dish. First, the cauliflower has to be baked until tender and it has turned a golden brown.
Simply break apart the cauliflower, place it in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and olive oil. Stir well to coat and pour out onto a baking pan. I like to cover my pan with baking paper.
Bake at 350 degrees until the cauliflower is tender and golden brown. You will need to turn it about every 10 to 15 minutes.
While the cauliflower is baking, boil 8 ounces of elbow macaroni according to package directions.
Once the cauliflower is tender, break apart and place in a buttered casserole.

The second key ingredient in this dish is good cheese, but not just good cheese, but really good sharp cheddar cheese. There's a very small cheese factory in the very small Wisconsin town of Fremont called Union Star. Their sharp cheddar is the BEST I have ever had. And here's the good news, they ship!!!!! You can find their website here.

Make a cheese sauce
2 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of corn starch
2 tablespoons of butter
2 cups of shredded cheese, reserve about 1/2 cup of cheese to top dish

Place corn starch in a pan. Over medium heat, slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Add butter and continue to stir until sauce begins to thicken. Add cheese and stir well.

Once macaroni has cooked, add to cauliflower and pour over the cheese sauce. I like to add a handful of chopped fresh chives. Stir to mix.  
Top the dish with the reserved cheese and fresh breadcrumbs that have been mixed with a tablespoon of melted butter. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I made this dish last Sunday for our supper and used up the last of my elbow macaroni. The next morning, a new box of macaroni was on my kitchen counter. A subtle message from my husband that he wants more :)
If you like cauliflower and macaroni and cheese, give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it!
Happy Sunday!!!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness!!!! That looks absolutely DEE LISH US!!! I'm going to try to print that out.
    Thanks, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this right before I walked into the grocery store today and bought some elbow macaroni and cauliflower...can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe...we love mac-n-cheese!!! No more boring noodles and cheese in my house now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what I felt like making for tonight - and suddenly, there you are writing about it :) I always love cauliflower with macaroni cheese so I will have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a very busy day my husband and I were trying to brainstorm a quick and easy dinner. Then I remembered this post. We've been trying to eat less carbs so we swapped out the macaroni for spaghetti squash and added some cayenne. It was great and even my 14 year old loved it. I'm so glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you enjoyed it :) I like the idea of replacing the macaroni with the squash. I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We make this often and love it. There's something special about roasted cauliflower isn't there?

    ReplyDelete