f

Friday, October 3, 2014

The Dress

A number of you have asked about the dress I did for the sleeve class I taught at the American Sewing Expo. I did get it finished, thankfully!! I decided to make it a teaching tool rather than a garment that I would actually wear. The expo was geared to Cosplay and costumes. The 2 sleeves that I did on the dress both lend themselves to costumes. The class was a lot of fun. I had a small group, so we were able to do quite a bit over the course of the day. A technique that I did during the class was to show them how to take a straight sleeve and turn it into a fitted sleeve. It's really quite simple to do and I will show that to you tomorrow for our Sleeves On Saturday post. There's a sleeve that I would like to do that requires a fitted sleeve, so knowing how to convert a straight sleeve to a fitted sleeve will come in quite handy.
Here's the dress.


It was put on display at the expo, so this picture was taken there. Once I get the dress back, I'll show you more details. I made a bustier to wear underneath. I plan to take the big sleeve off so that the dress will be more wearable.
The sleeve on the right side is actually a 2 piece sleeve. The under sleeve is a basic fitted sleeve and the over sleeve sits away from the under sleeve. This sleeve would look lovely on a jacket, so it will be in one of our upcoming Sleeves On Saturdays posts.
Once I get it back, I'll even put in on for you. Even with the big sleeve, it looks really great on the body.
By the way, I once again used the trusty Butterick 5678 pattern as the basis for this dress. I found out that the pattern has been discontinued. Here's an Ebay link just in case you would like to have one, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XButterick+5678&_nkw=Butterick+5678&_sacat=0  This pattern is a great basic pattern that so much can be done with.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

15 comments:

  1. Oh my! That dress is more than fabulous! Can't wait to see it on you!! Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Halloween dress ever! I'm dying to see it on you. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also can't wait to see it up close, in more detail! It looks incredibly artistic, with great style lines ... love it! ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith. I piped all the edges with a velvet cord and it gave just the right touch. I also did a little technique on the piece that goes over the bust so that it will stay in place. I think you'll enjoy seeing that.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work, Rhonda. Can't wait to see you model the dress & bustier. Butterick 5678 should not have been discontinued so soon - it is an excellent pattern, and a great basic piece. I am so glad I picked up an extra copy before they d/c'd it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked when I heard that they had discontinued the pattern. It's one of those patterns that's just a good basic. Oh well, thank goodness for EBay :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous! You have a great imagination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! The dress was fun to put together.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a work of art (or several) in that dress. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! This is a lovely Halloween dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw that dress at the Expo, I knew immediately that it was your design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm not sure if that's good or bad!! At least I have a recognizable style.

      Delete
  9. Rhonda, asked about this on a more recent post, and then went backwards and found it.
    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete