f

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday's Soup

I'm back with another soup recipe from Panera Bread. Everyone who enjoys pumpkin seems to have a favorite recipe for pumpkin soup. I do as well, although I have yet to post my personal recipe, but I will over the winter. Since I do love pumpkin just about anything, I thought that I would try out the Panera Bread recipe. It's a nice soup. My husband is my official taster. He liked the fact that it is a very mild soup, not at all overly spiced. I on the other hand like, actually love, a spicy just about anything. For my bowl of soup I added chopped, fresh cayenne pepper. Keep in mind that I usually have a layer of hot red pepper flakes on my pizza, so I really like spicy food. 

Curried Pumpkin Soup

The Ingredients;
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 3/4 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) 100 percent pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk(I used the entire can as I felt that the soup was a little too think)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt(I also added black pepper)
  • Pinch of sugar









Directions

Step 1.

Heat oil and butter in large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook until carrots are soft, 5 to 8 minutes.
Step 2.Pour in 1 1/2 cups of broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, coconut milk, salt, and sugar, and cook 2 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth. I use a hand held blending wand. Makes life so much easier.  

Step 3.

Return to pan and heat through. 
To serve, Panera suggests a dollop of sour cream. I used Labna, a Middle Eastern style yogurt. It's rich and creamy and I like the taste much better than sour cream.  And as I said earlier, I also added the chopped cayenne pepper. This is a lovely soup for lunch or a light supper. It will also freeze well since there is no dairy in the recipe.




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, I love pumpkin soup. Is very similar the receip I make.

    ReplyDelete