f

Friday, October 18, 2013

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

When I was a little girl, my grandmother gave me a bracelet which had a beautiful prism shaped crystal pendant. I loved how it caught the light. Although this top is not a true prism, the shape reminds me of that little bracelet, so I am calling this the
Prism Top
 The shape of this top is nothing more than a modified triangle. Very easy to draft.
 It drapes on the sides.
 The back and the front are exactly the same.
Here it is laying flat and you can see the triangular shape that has been boxed off for the hips.
The measurements that you will need are;
1. Measure across your shoulders with arms outstretched from one elbow to the other. If you would like a little less drape, you can shorten this measurement to approximately the middle of your upper arm.
2. Desired length of top. Measure from shoulder to desired length.
3. Hip measurement.
Begin by drawing a rectangle that is the shoulder measurement by the desired length of the top.
 Find the center of the rectangle, place a mark and then draw in the triangle as shown below.
Divide the hip measurement in half. If your hips measure 40", half of this measurement is 20". Divide this number in half and place a mark on either side of center on the bottom line of the rectangle.
 Draw a straight line up from those marks approximately 6".
 Follow the line of the triangle and blend the triangle line into the the straight lines which were just drawn in.
Find the center of the top line of the rectangle. Measure over 3" from the center and measure down the desired depth of the neckline.
 My contrasting neckline piece is 2" wide.
Draw in the lines for spreading the pattern as you see below. Be sure to number them just in case they come apart. Cut the contrasting neckband away from the pattern piece. I've only drawn in the spread lines on half of my pattern because the pattern is the same on both sides and it will be easier to spread just half of the pattern.
Cut on the spread lines to the side seam being careful to cut to and not through. Spread 2" between each slashed line.
Once the pattern has been spread apart, draw in a nice smooth line as you see below. Also mark in notches. These notches will tell you where the gathering will begin and end.
The point on the end of the side seam is rather severe, so I rounded it just a bit.
The final pattern.
You will cut 4 of the neckband on the fold and 2 of the main body of the top.
It's a little difficult to see, but I added a 4" band to the bottom of my top. This is just 1 long rectangle.
If the band were made wider, this could also be a great dress. If your drape is as deep as mine, you might want to wear a camisole or tank underneath the top. I like to wear a t-shirt under mine.
A very easy to draft top or dress that is lots of fun to wear. Good luck if you decide to give it a try.
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy, for such a complicated looking top. This is so very current and so simple, I absolutely love it in the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Becki. It's all easy, you just have to know how and that's where I come in :)

      Delete
  2. I love this, Rhonda! Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Will definitely try it when I get to the sewing room again. Probably next month.LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will look great on you. Let me know when you do give it a try.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous instructions for this summer style. Anyone tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RHONDA OMG, I have the perfect fabric. I am going to give this a try. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I absolutely love this top. I love everything about it. Its so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete