f

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Night Reflections


Four years ago today, I wrote my very first blog post. I've shared with you in the past that it was my acupuncturist who encouraged me to start the blog. She felt that what I do should not be kept for just a few to see. So, I opened a blog account and jumped in with no idea of where it would take me.
Opening the blog was quite an adventure in and of itself. I didn't realize that I had to give it a title!! Naming the blog, "Rhonda's Creative Life" was really more of a declaration than a title. For the first time in my life I was standing up and saying, yes I am creative and yes it fills my life.
Why I chose to write what I wrote that very first day, I really don't know. I felt so vulnerable, so exposed. It took me almost five months to the day before I was able to talk myself into sitting down and writing another post. It's funny to read that post now and to see the words that I wrote, "with whatever it is that you would like to do, don't allow the pitfalls of learning keep you from your ultimate goal. It's always worth the hard work that it takes to achieve any goal." Interesting. 
The blog has been like taking a walk on a winding path. You have no idea of where it will take you, but where you are at the moment is okay, so you keep going. I have found writing a blog to be one of the most frustrating experiences and at the same time one of the most rewarding. Rather than focusing on the frustrating, I would rather focus on the rewarding. I have met so many wonderful people. I hate to even try and name anyone as the list is long and I'm afraid that I would leave someone out. Needless to say, you have enriched my life in so many ways. You've encouraged and cheered me on when I have felt like quitting and for this I am very grateful. Somewhere there is a post where I talk about giving up and closing my blog. At the time I had very few followers but it was as if you magically appeared just when I needed you the most....and I'm still here. 
From time to time, I receive the loveliest letters. Just this week I received one and since this is my anniversary day, I'll share some of it with you.

I am so excited to start sewing.  See my mom bought me a sewing machine when I got married 10 years ago (took me long enough, right!) she wanted to get something for me that I could have for ever.  I was always so interested and impressed because she sewed mine and my brothers clothes when we were babies, my dolls clothes...lots of things!

Now I have 2 little ones, a full time job, lots of interests and reading your blog made me feel like I can do it, why not! I am not sure why but people tend to say 'you don't have the time' or it will take to long to learn (now that I am 37) :)  but creating/making things makes me happy!

I am hoping I can create something I can wear that doesn't look 'home made' if you know what I mean :)

This is a rather long email to say, thank you for blogging, thank you for sharing, and thank you for inspiring me!


Wow, talk about an "It's A Wonderful Life" moment. What a gift! 
I would rather not talk about how many blog posts I've written, how many followers I have or what my stats are like, because in the end, it really doesn't matter. What matters is that you have enriched and inspired me and in turn, I am so happy that in some small way I have been able to add a little something to your life as well.

What is success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people 
     and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
     and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave this world a better place whether by a
     healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded.
                                                 Ralph Waldo Emerson 




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

12 comments:

  1. It's funny - your words on your first post reflect my feelings so well. I only started sewing 2 years ago - just started my 3rd year and there have been many times when I thought I couldn't do it - it took me a long time to cut into nice fabric in the hope that I don't ruin it. It was only through people like you and the rest of the blogging community that made me persevere. Still learning and still making mistakes - but incredibly grateful to have the support of the sewing community. And what a lovely letter to receive. To that lovely lady - I can say I just started sewing at aged 49 (now 51). Enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you jumped in, and happy to be a part of your world-wide community! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! You can count me among the "breathed easier"! You are a great friend, a wonderful sounding board, and an amazing designer that keeps me pushing the envelope, inspired to try harder and take risks. I count you among my Expo "prizes"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your blog anniversary and for sharing your journey with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very happy that you jumped in and wrote that first blog post....and didn't stop! I always look forward to your posts, you are a very sharing blogger and I am glad to consider you one of my friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that you started a blog and we crossed our paths! Dear Rhonda, you are a cup of inspiration, four tablespoons of wisdom, three tablespoons of sincerity and half cup of honesty ... You´re the perfect recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhonda, I would just like to say thank you for continuing your blog. Please don't stop.
    Also, did you finish the Zebra dress tutorial? Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie and thanks so much. I have not finished the tutorial on the zebra dress, so you have not missed it. I'm hoping to get back to it this week. I had a lot piled on me at one time with the Passion For Fashion Contest and then going to Denver all within a week of each other. Life is beginning to settle back a bit :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity and true sewing gift.
    You have such an eloquent style it feel just like I'm sitting across the table from you having lunch again when I read your posts. I would love to spend a Saturday shopping and sewing with you. This is known for being such a solitary, but I feel like we are fast friends. thank you so much for putting yourself out there and sharing with the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becki. I had the best time visiting with you in Houston. We will have to plan a Saturday to sew together. I think that would be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad I found you. You are always positive and upbeat. Always willing to share. Congratulations on 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I'm glad you found me too!! I not sure about how upbeat I am, but I try ;)

      Delete