f

Friday, October 4, 2013

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday, The Perfect Travel Dress Hits The Road

Hi Everybody, just in case I didn't say hi a little earlier with the pillowcase post :)
On Monday I will be flying to Denver and then I'll be headed to the Sew News office for the Sew It All taping of the Perfect Travel Dress. It's been a while, but you may remember that, thanks to your help, I won the Sew It All Casting Call Contest. Here's a link to the video,  http://www.sewitalltv.com/contests/casting-call.html Just click on the video that is above my picture and you can see my audition.
I call this the perfect travel dress because it is so versatile and the trick to making it versatile are the drawstrings that are on the shoulders as well as both side seams of the skirt portion of the dress. Here is a link to the original post with instructions,  http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2012/10/fabulous-free-pattern-friday_13.html
The sleeves can be long or short.
 The side can be pulled up and worn with tights.
Or, you can pull up both sides and make the dress into a top. Match it with a top, a skirt, a couple of pairs of tights and you are prepared for a number of days on the road.
This is the dress I made for the audition. I wore it quite a bit over the summer. As you can see, the neckline is a little closer to the neck. 
 Here's a sneak peak at the fabric that I'm using for the taping.
I'm super excited. I think this is going to be so much fun.
So sorry that there isn't a new Fabulous Free Pattern Friday piece today. It's been far too long since I've posted one. I do plan to have one next week and finally be back on schedule.
Thanks so much to all of you who helped make this a reality for me. It's just a dream come true!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

15 comments:

  1. So excited for you. Is this something that can be viewed online eventually. My PBS doesn't carry it. Would love to see you in action! Have fun. Take clothes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rhonda, Have a WONDERFUL trip and a great taping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting. Savor every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Rhonda!!!! Super excited and happy for you, I can't think of a more deserving person for this opportunity! Enjoy it, you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun taping the show, Rhonda! So happy and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have made and worn the Travel dress many times, and am hoping to make another one before I leave on my Couture trip to Paris the first of November. I look forward to seeing you on Sew It All. Good luck and have a safe trip Oh, and don't forget your clothes? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Rhonda! How exciting! Love your perfect travel dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rhonda! I LOVED seeing you in real life -- sort of. You are GORGEOUS and you have that amazing hair I would love to have.

    2 questions about the top of the dress:

    Can you leave the collar off and just turn the opening under and top stitch it?

    If you lift your arms up, can you see your whole body inside the opening? Do you have to wear something under it?

    Thanks, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the lovely compliment Joy. You made my day! My hair is truly a blessing and one that I say thank you for everyday.
    You do not have to do the collar. What I would do though is cut a 2" wide strip and blind the edge rather than turn it under. Great idea BTW. I think I will give this a try.
    When the sleeves are down, there is no possible was to see inside the dress. When they are pulled up, you might get a little glimpse inside, I have not found it a problem. Although, I usually have a little fun with it. I have one that is an animal print and I wear an animal print bra with it, so if there is a glimpse inside, it looks like the dress. You could also wear a cami underneath of you like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, dear Rhonda, this is so exciting! Have a wonderful trip and recording, you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if you are back already? How exciting ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rhonda I have just blogged about my version of this dress at ; http://suessewbynme.com/2014/12/10/travel-must-have/,

    I love this pattern Thanks so much for sharing it .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really perfect dress! I would like to choose one as i regularly take traveling!
    moldova

    ReplyDelete