f

Saturday, September 21, 2013

The True Cost of Fast Fashion

A few weeks ago I was contacted by Zoe who is a researcher for a site that provides education and industry insights to current and prospective MBA students. They have produced a video that takes a critical look at how "disposable clothing" impacts the fashion industry as a whole. You may have had the opportunity to see the video as Bunny of http://lasewist.blogspot.com/ recently posted the video. I have decided to post the video as I feel that it is worth taking a look at it and if you have seen it, I think it's good to be reminded of the message.

Created by OnlineMBA.com

Last February, this article,  http://news.yahoo.com/poor-cages-show-dark-side-142611366.html was written by Kelvin Chan showing the dark side of the economic boom in China. Below is a very disturbing photo showing the deplorable conditions that many are forced to live in.
We've created a mess. How do we fix it? Yes, I am as guilty as the next person of enjoying a bargain. But what is the cost of this bargain, and how does it affect the environment as well as my fellow man? We speak the loudest with our wallets and if we just take a moment to think before we are lured into making a purchase and ask ourselves what is the true cost, maybe, just maybe we can begin to turn things around.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. I think I have developed a conscience from becoming aware of fast fashion. Before I learned about it I never gave a second thought to my shopping. If I wanted it and could afford it, I bought it. No more. Now I go into stores and often walk out in disgust. I am not saying I don't ever buy this stuff but now I ALWAYS think of the impact and it really gives me pause. It is far far better to make our own clothing as much as possible and to encourage and teach others to do the same. Our sewing can seriously impact the quality of the air that is breathed and lives that are lived off shore by those producing in such conditions. How I shop is now a matter of conscience for me. Thanks for putting this up, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexico really paid a big price when China got "favored nation" status, as a lot of fairly good wage earning was going on there.

    I venture to say it started a whole lot of trouble for many small countries, Haiti, Jamaica, etc, and now the Chinese people are paying for this as well. It's all terrible. There is no way to describe my feelings when I heard that a Mexican factory owner was told to match China's price or lose the contract. He couldn't meet the price.

    ReplyDelete