f

Monday, September 16, 2013

Not A Sock Virgin Anymore

I've knitted since I was a child, but had never made a pair of socks. While I was away in Maine, I finished my first pair and wow, do I ever love them.
Socks always seemed to hold some mystery to me, turning a heel, shaping the toes. Yikes!!
Determined to overcome my fear of knitting a pair of socks, I bought this book,
 where I found this pattern,
a basic sock, just what I needed.
The instructions were wonderful, as you can see, I was successful in knitting a pair of socks. Even turning the heel didn't seem to be that big of a deal.
Now that I've knitted my first pair I understand why some people end up with a drawer full of hand knit socks. They are like luxury for your feet.
 So I'm on to another pair.
If you've never knitted a pair of socks, but think you might like to, I encourage you to get the book I used. There are 18 different sock patterns in the book and even better, there is an entire section devoted to the history of socks. Very interesting. You can find the book on Amazon. A used one goes for as little as $2.04 and a new book for $7.95. Quite a deal with a list price of 24.95. Here's a link, http://www.amazon.com/Folk-Socks-Techniques-Handknitted-Footwear/dp/0934026971/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379365536&sr=1-2&keywords=folk+socks
If you're anything like me, you'll wonder why it took you so long to give a sock a try.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

24 comments:

  1. Lovely! My two favorite socks are socks knitted by my stepmother. They are the coziest socks in my drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat for your feet! Beautiful little numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny. I really love them and can't wait to make more. I have enough left over yarn to make a pair for a friend's daughter who is having a baby boy.

      Delete
  3. I am also intrigued by socks. I love the idea of being able to design my own in terms of color(s) and texture, but do they outlast other kinds? I'm curious... For the wearer, what makes them more luxurious than just a quality pair of store bought socks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one of the things I like so much about the socks is the fit. I was able to get them to fit my foot exactly. As far as quality and lasting, I would imagine that I really good sock is quite comparable. I think there's also a little of the "I made it" factered into my feelings about the socks as well :)

      Delete
  4. Hand knit socks are the best! Congrats on your first pair! They look so nice! And I love the pattern you've chosen for your second pair too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought the yarn, haven't started knitting them though. I want to make them as knee high socks. Keeping up with the pattern while turning the heel is a little daunting. Funny how things seem like such a big deal until you're actually doing it and then, it's not the big deal you made it out to be.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful socks, Rhonda! Those should keep your toes snuggly warm this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore them yesterday. It has been rather chilly in Chicago. When I came to bed last night, my husband commented that my feet weren't as cold as they usually are. I think he will also appreciate my warm socks ;)

      Delete
  6. Well done Rhonda. Socks are on my one day list as well - yours look so snugly and cosy, just right for the winter season. Good luck with the knee highs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sarah, don't put it off!! I think you will love knitting socks.

      Delete
  7. Oh! They look so nice, but I'll probably only ever admire - I can barely knit straight. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet. I have a feeling your skills are far more advanced than you are giving yourself credit for :)

      Delete
  8. Socks rock and yours look lovely! I have knitted socks for all my family members but haven't picked up the needles in a while to knit anything, but that is about to change. A friend wants to learn to knit and I'm itching to start a project for myself....a cozy cowl maybe, or socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. Socks are one of those things that you don't quite understand until you knit a pair. Before I get started on my next pair, I have a Kaffe Fasset sweater in Rowan yarn that I want to finish. It's just a stripped sweater, but the colors are wonderful.

      Delete
  9. I'm an avid sock knitter, and it's great to see that you've joined the "dark side". It's a joke amongst sock knitters. Yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great socks Rhonda! I make socks for my daughter who loves slouchy socks but don't have any for myself. I really want to try knitting from the 'toe up' socks. Maybe make them for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great socks Rhonda! I make socks for my daughter but really want to try making 'from the toe up' next time. Maybe I should make them for me :)
    Kim H

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your pair of socks! I wore my first pair of socks to pieces, they were that cozy, until the heels wore out, literally. Couldn't bear to part with my home knit wonders, so I bought a darning ball and learned to repair the holes in the heel. Have them to this day. Yours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now socks are something I could knit as it wouldn't take forever, theoretically! Luxury for your feet indeed.

    ReplyDelete