f

Monday, September 2, 2013

The New Dandelion Dress

Before I left on my vacation, Mari of http://disparatedisciplines.com/ asked me to test her new pattern, the Dandelion Dress. I was so pressed for time as I had two other projects that I had to get out, but I had promised, so I just couldn't go back on my word. Since I was so pressed for time, I couldn't do any pre-fitting of the pattern, so I thought, "man, I hope this pattern fits!!" When I test a pattern, one of the things I look for is a pattern that needs very little if any alterations. I can usually cut a dress, top or skirt and just make a few alterations without making a muslin first. Please don't hate me too much, pleeeeease!!! Notice that I did not have pants in that list!!! I actually feel that I make a good candidate for testing a pattern. So with all of that said, I cut out the Dandelion dress with my fingers crossed and voila!! it fit! The picture below is the dress straight off the pattern. Oh, I did forget one thing, I added 2" to the length of the pattern and I did not hem it. I could have hemmed it, but I wanted to bind the edge and the length is, I think, a good one for me. In case you are wondering, I am 5'6" tall in my bare feet. 
Since I chose a print to make the dress, you really can't see the lines of the pattern. Below are a couple of pictures from Mari's blog where the style lines are a little easier to see.
In the drawing below you can see the back style lines. 



The style lines are really just modified princess line seams so if you do have any fit issues, they can easily be taken care of.
I love to wear dresses, both summer and winter. In the morning when I get up, I like to be able to quickly pull on a dress before I leave the bedroom and I especially like a dress that looks cute with heels or flats. This little dress fits the bill for me! and I especially like the neckline. Mari does offer other necklines in the pattern by the way.
When Mari and I spoke about the dress, I told her that I had no complaints at all about the pattern. I like the fact that it can be a nice little casual dress and made out of the right fabric, it can become a wonderful little cocktail dress as well. I think I'm going to make it out of a nice black crepe. Believe it or not, I only have one little black dress in my closet. I could use another!
So, here's a direct link to the pattern, http://disparatedisciplines.com/product/dandelion_dress_top_1401/
Over the next couple of weeks, Mari is hosting a blog hop where everyone who tested the pattern will give their thoughts. Here's a list of the other testers and the dates that they will be posting.
9/4 Winnie of Scruffy Badger Time
9/5 Velosewer of How Good is That?
9/6 Lizzie of Sew Busy Lizzie
9/11 Brooke of Custom Style
Remember when you were a child and you blew a dandelion for luck? Well, I'm blowing lots of good wishes Mari's way, because I think this is a great little pattern. Congratulations Miss Mari!!!




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

24 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda! Your dress is really cute and the fit seems to be great. What size did you cut?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute fabric choices! I really love the different fabric as edging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fun print and trim that you chose! Go, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling dress and I really like those design lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new dress, dear Rhonda! It reminds me in style 60s, so young. I love the print of your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really great little dress. Simple, but very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't muslin, you're brave to do it with a brand new pattern company though. Did you even measure or compare it to an existing TNT? Super cute seaming, it looks great in either a print or a solid! it reminds me of the Burda Style dress that they did from Matthew Williamson last year.

    I can't wait to see more of your adventures in sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very cute summer dress, Rhonda!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a super gorgeous dress - love the playful prints you have mixed. It does look nice with ballet flats. Must explore your friends site :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute dress, the fabric you selected has a 60's vibe to me. I have tried french darts (from a different pattern) and thought they looked 'odd' to my eye ending ON my bust. I used a thinner stable knit and when I tried ending the dart further back from my bust I developed a 'bubble' of fabric that my bust didn't fill. Any insight you could offer would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, this is a cute little number. And as always, you look great. Thank you for continuing to inspired me to try new things and think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great design lines. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute fabric and I love the seams. I *need* this pattern

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely review and I like how you've tackled the dress too: contrast binding- sweet. It really is an adorable dress, I agree with you about sending Mari loads of good wishes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it. I like large, busy prints and I'm always looking for patterns that are suitable for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't even give the fabric a thought, just pulled it out of the closet and went with it. Was very relieved that it all worked out:)

      Delete
  16. Wow! That is so flattering! And I absolutely love the print! :)
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. The design lines are nice and the patten is great for a basic type dress pattern that allows the fabric to shine.

      Delete
  17. I too love dresses and need some more in my closet! This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete