f

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thrifty Thursday

Today's Thrifty Thursday post is somewhat of a repeat. I made the Sammy Cami from Iconic patterns a couple of months ago. I was very pleased with how it turned out.
I added bra cups, along with a shelf bra.
Once I got the top finished, I realized that it would make a great top for a tankini bathing suit.
So I took out the Rosy Lady Shorts pattern from Cloth Habit that I made here,
and made a bottom for my top.
Since I only had smaller scraps, I had to cut the pattern apart, 
but all in all, I think it makes the bottoms a little more interesting. 
I lined the inside of the shorts with swimsuit lining and I also lined the crotch.
The elastic is not traditional swimsuit elastic, but I think that as long as I rinse the suit out after wearing it, the elastic should hold up for as long as I would like for it to. 
Actually, I'm so happy with the fit that I plan to make a couple more. Who knows, you just might get me to snap a picture of me in the suit. Might!!!! :)
As you can see, the patterns are very versatile and can be used for so much more than just a basic cami and a basic pair of knickers. 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

14 comments:

  1. Love it! Those colors are so you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny. I do love bright, clear colors :)

      Delete
  2. I INSIST you have hubby snap a pic with you inside it! It is very pretty. Love the way the shorts turned out. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see about the pic ;) I too was very happy with the pant. So often when I've bought a suit, the bottoms aren't cut exactly like I would like, or they just don't fit well.

      Delete
  3. What a terrific swim suit. You are so innovative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. The nice thing about it is that the top is a perfect length for me. It's really comfortable and modest enough that I feel comfortable walking around the pool or the beach.

      Delete
  4. Love it, the colors are so fun! The elastic, is it fold-over elastic? In the close up picture it appears to have an animal print, too cute. I think we really need a modeled shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea. The elastic is fold over elastic from Joann's believe it or not. You can find it in the elastic section on the notions wall. They have a number of fun prints. Just be aware that the patterned elastics come in rather small yardages. I bought 3 pkgs. for my bottoms as I didn't want to piece it. So take coupons!!

      Delete
  5. This is a great bathing suit. I normally pass on simple cami and tanks, but you have given me a bright idea now. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, great idea on adding the shelf bra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fabric and so impressed by your ingenuity for that shelf bra. And late but still heartfelt thanks for the sewing news. I am at my weekend sewing retreat and am showing off your sweet largesse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sewing retreat sounds like heaven! Have a wonderful time. And I am so happy that you are enjoying the magazine :)
      A little note, you taught me a new word!! I had to look up largesse. Learning something new makes it not only a good day, but an enriching one as well. Thanks :)

      Delete