f

Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Funnel Neck T-Shirt Tutorial

A number of you asked for a tutorial on my funnel neck top, so I thought I would skip the usual Thrifty Thursday post and show you how easy it is to draft this top.
This is a crazy picture, but it does show that the neck is just a funnel.
Start with a basic t-shirt pattern.
Extend the center front line and square a line up from the shoulder. Notice that the line that is squared up from the shoulder is not right on the edge of the shoulder but about 1/2 over. Also take note that for my drafting tutorials, there is no seam allowance included. I always add my seam allowance once I have finished drafting. The line that was squared up from the shoulder should be approximately 14" long. A little more or less will not be a problem.
 Square a line over from center front to meet with the line from the shoulder.
The funnel neck is wider at the top than it is at the shoulder. Come out from the shoulder line 1 1/2"and connect back to the shoulder.
 The final pattern. You will do exactly the same to the back pattern.
 I made another top, but I made this one reversible.
 When sewing the top, sew the neckline with wrong sides together. Remember the funnel is going to drape down and we do not want the side seams to show.
 Here you can see that if the funnel is held up, the seams would show.
 If you would like to make one that is reversible, the inside piece will be sewn with wrong sides together for the side seams as well as the side seams of the funnel.
 Here the funnel is draped over the shoulder and you see the finished side of the seam.
 The side seams of the top are sewn with right sides together.
To finish the armhole, I cut a strip pf fabric 1" wide and long enough to go around the armhole. It was stitched to the back side with a 1/4" seam allowance and then flipped to the front and stitched in place.
 The reverse side of the armhole has a clean finish.
The edges of my top were finished on the serger with a narrow hem. In order to get the frilly edge, I simply pulled the fabric as it went through the serger. 
Now you know just how easy it is to make this top. 
I'll try to model mine for this upcoming week's Me Made Monday and I'll show you both sides.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Can this top also be made with set in or dolman sleeves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A set in or dolman sleeve will work just fine.

      Delete
  2. That reversible one is so cute!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those tops that you can spill something on one side and then just flip it over as though it never happened ;) Glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. This was a great tutorial and I like your reversible top very much. You are always so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, fantastic design and perfect timing! I was up in Nevada City, CA last weekend and stopped by The Phoenix Rose store with my husband, a devoted follower of their Phoenix Rising designs. The young woman working there was so chic, she was wearing a tunic with this same funnel neck treatment which was designed by the owners. I tried on a couple of colors of the tunic but the fabric was a bit thin, the color a bit off for me and what i have in my closet....which was kind of sad as it's a great, glam look and the neck can be worn so many ways.

    What kismet you are here today with a solution for me :) I especially like the reversible look, the extra body in the neck and pay between the two fabrics are scrumptious.

    Thank you and have a great evening! steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy. Please let me know if you do make one...or more :)

      Delete
  5. Love the reversible look on this top, Rhonda, and the lettuce-edge hems on the cowl neck and bottom hems. Thanks for the tutorial on this. I can picture this in a big, chunky knit for winter, with sleeves of course. For the 2 or 3 cold days we have in winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a little mid-western girl still in you ;) Look at you dreaming of chunky sweaters! Great idea BTW:)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely lovely -thank you for the tutorial, I think I will put this on my to do list :) I love both tops, but the grey is so pretty with the double collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the sheer white knit and knew that I would want to face it with something. As I was thinking about this top for the post, I remembered the fabric the fabric and decided why not. Let me know if you give it a try.

      Delete
  7. Love the look and the lace treatment. Sew enjoy your creativity, you are truly an inspiration to this beginner (me)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this top and it looks so easy to make. I will definitely try this one. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like the reversible one! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete