f

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sunday Brunch

Blueberries are at their peak and over the last few weeks, I have had more than my fair share. I can open a container of blueberries and eat the entire thing. I've had them in my morning cereal, in salads, smoothies, if I can put a blueberry in it, I will :)
I have a recipe for Blueberry Bread that I have had forever and I have no idea where it came from, but it is a favorite, especially this time of year. It is not an overly sweet bread. Make it up the night before and it will be ready the next morning for slicing and toasting. 
Blueberry-Orange Nut Bread
Ingredients;
3 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 eggs
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, or desired nut
For a more robust orange taste, add 1 teaspoon of orange oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs, milk, orange juice and grated orange peel. Gradually blend in flour mixture. Fold in blueberries and nuts.
Grease and flour a 9x5x3" loaf pan. Pour batter into loaf pan.
Bake 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Wrap in aluminum foil and store in refrigerator over night before slicing.     

The bread is best toasted in a toaster oven. Once toasted, spread it with butter and sprinkle on a little cinnamon sugar or honey, sink your teeth in and enjoy!
The bread freezes well, so make a couple and save the other for a fall or winter treat.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! I love blueberries too; my favorite way is mixing them with vanilla ice-cream :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to make blueberry pie this afternoon but I think my plans have just changed! Thanks, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not sweet like a pie. Just don't want you to be disappointed :)

      Delete
  3. Yummo - I make a mean banana bread and a pear and raspberry. I can add this to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh BeaJay, I would love your pear and raspberry recipe....if you don't mind sharing :)

      Delete
  4. Looks yummy....going to make! Bet it great with morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't able to sleep, so I got up to make a cup of chamomile tea and I decided a needed. Little something more. Just perfect :)

      Delete