f

Friday, August 22, 2014

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday/The Sweeping Rectangles Tee

Before you think I've lost my mind, yes, I know that this is a top, but keep scrolling through and you'll see the rectangles. I'm calling this top,

The Sweeping Rectangles Tee 


The back.



Now you can see the rectangles. The 2 lower panels are rectangles.



The back of the top is short and the front is long.


 To make the top, start with your basic top pattern.



I wanted an angled line so that the front would not be too full. I simply followed the angled side seam line. I did extend the length of my top about 3".


A line was drawn across the back, 2" below the armpit.


The final patterns for the front and the back.


Sew the front and the back together at the shoulders and the side seams. Since the front is much longer than the back, the side seams will not match.
To add the rectangles: 
The first rectangle is 8" wide. For the length, measure from the bottom of the side seam of the front, up along the side, across the back and down the side seam of the opposite side of the front. Sew the rectangle to the front and back of the top. You will need to turn a corner at the underarm seam.


The lower rectangle will be the same length as the previous rectangle. For the width, you will want the back length to correspond to the front. In other words, the back should be as long as the front, so the width of the second rectangle will need to make the length of the back the same length as the front. If this doesn't make sense, please ask and I will try to do a better explanation.


Here you can see how the front angles at the sides. 


The top is so easy to make and super easy and comfortable to wear, so I hope you'll give it a try.





Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

28 comments:

  1. This is so cool!!! I must make ASAP! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it. If you have any questions, be sure to let me know as my instructions might not be the best on this one.

      Delete
  2. Rhonda does it again! Pretty darn cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this top Rhonda - it is so up my alley! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this top! It's a great way to use a leftover bit of fabric and/or print mix. Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really liking this top. Trying to grow a notch or two in my garment sewing, I have a couple questions, First, why does the line drawn across the back 2" below the armpit appear to have a downward angle, while the finished photo of the back appears to end up straight across? And second, both of your fabrics appear to be knits, but I'm wondering if this pattern could work equally well with woven fabrics? Thanks for being such a natural teacher - and for giving so freely of your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The downward angle is due to my poor picture taking :) Sorry about that. It should be a straight line. My fabrics are knit. If you do decide to make the top out of a woven fabric, just be sure to start with a basic pattern that is intended for wovens. I started with my basic t-shirt pattern that is intended for knits.

      Delete
  6. This is so cool! What kind of fabric did you use? Me thinks I must make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love this technique, thanks for sharing





      Delete
    2. Thanks Joy :) It is a lot of fun.

      Delete
    3. i actually tried this ,,, had a lil trouble at first because i wanted the lower back to be Aline in shape ,,, will take a photo and post ,,,, it is not completed as yet ,,

      Delete
  7. This is so great! I want to run try it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute. It does remind me of the Katherine Tilton pattern that I recent bought. I could have save the money. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice top idea! For me, I would need to consider my upper rectangle contrast carefully, since I would want to make sure that it just skims, and doesn't highlight that oh-so-lovely "back fat" area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't think you have that issue :), but....by cutting the back and adding the rectangles, it makes the back flair out so it makes for a good camouflage :)

      Delete
  10. Great shirt. I am new at sewing at not sure how you made the long sleeves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The sleeves are a part of the basic t-shirt pattern that I started with for the top.

      Delete
  11. Rhonda so many shirts with this style have pockets. Can you suggest a way to put them on this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. I'll let you know when the tutorial is up.

      Delete
  12. Hi Rhonda, I just discovered you, and I'm just loving your rectangle designs! Amazing work! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Rhonda.

    Could you do a corresponding sketch for adding the rectangles to this top and for the skirt to which you added rectangles as well?

    Thanks!
    ~Kelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley. This is a great one to begin with. I was thinking about making a new one anyway, so it all works out.

      Delete