f

Friday, November 8, 2013

Chugging Along....Sorta, Make a Garment A Month

Do you ever have days when it seems like EVERYTHING goes wrong with whatever it is that you touch. I had thought that I would quickly finish up my Fabulous Free Pattern Friday piece this morning. That didn't happen. So I thought that I would finish up my Make a Garment A Month piece especially since I am so behind, after all this is November 8th. As I started getting into the project, I realized that I really should get my Sleeves On Saturday piece done since I need to leave rather early tomorrow morning, so I put the jacket aside. Then to just put the cheery on top of the whole mess, I managed to cut my sleeve out on the wrong side of the fabric. I was not happy, especially since I don't have enough of that fabric to re-cut the sleeve. The entire piece is now pinned on to a whole new piece of fabric. Let's see if I can get through this project without a mishap.
Before I begin to cut, I thought I would take a quick break and give you a quick update on my now very late October outfit. Trust me, I am determined tom get this finished and get on to the next project.
This is the picture that I showed you back in October.    
The skirt is finished. For a simple a-line skirt that should have gone together in a snap, it didn't. The pattern is a 1970's vintage pattern and the skirt had a yoke. I decided that I didn't want the yoke as I wanted a shorter skirt, so I illuminated the yoke and adjusted the waist. I thought I adjusted it correctly, but when I tried it on after it was completed, the waist was 2" too large. I was not happy. This meant that I had to take out flat felled seams and all the stitching I had done at the waist. Needless to say, I did it and now it is fine.
The jacket is quite interesting. What you see in the picture below is the back and a portion of the front with the pocket. It is completely lined.
In this picture is the overlay. The pocket will be stitched to the backside of the overlay. The overlay is also completely lined.
I found this wonderful cotton to line the jacket. I really love it.
I'm really much further along than it looks, and I sure do wish it were finished! Hopefully by this time next week, it will be and then I can pull out the next garment that I want to get completed.
On a happy note, I have received three more packages of pillowcases, so the count continues to grow. Very exciting. I'll post those tomorrow.
I hope your Friday is going better than mine has at this point. I'm off to cut that sleeve and I am determined to get it right this time!! Wish me luck :)



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

20 comments:

  1. good luck,i am late in my project too!You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love Geoffrey Beene, though I haven't sewn much of his stuff. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a cute skirt and the jacket/coat is promising. Hope the rest of it goes as planned :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Friday reminds me of a coffee mug I kept on my desk at work (before retirement). It said, "Some days it pays to sit and think, and some days it just pays to sit." ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have days like that more often than I'd like to! Glad you were able to save the skirt - it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oof, tomorrow will be better! Love the lining fabric - what is it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Micheal Miller cotton that I found at The Needle Shop.

      Delete
  7. I hear you, loud and clear. My yesterday and today were full of failures. But, I love that skirt, and raise a glass to your tenacity to get it all right! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! That jacket looks so interesting!! Your day sounds like my whole week last week and my jacket disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this. You are so generous to share that you have tough days too. Guess we're all in good company. Last week I cut out a pair of *easy* denim pants. Pull-ons. What could be easier? Then I somehow cut two left legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you made me laugh! I don't think we should ever see together. Who knows what we might come up with ;) I do hope you had enough fabric to save those pants.

      Delete
  10. The only good thing is...both pieces are for you instead of a client...then things would get real ugly! Love the Michael Miller binding! The jacket back shoulder yokes are just so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trust me, I had days like this when I sewed for clients. They were never the wiser of it though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have days like this as well. Soon it will turn around to a better day(s)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear that it's not only me! But yet you still manage to turn it around and make it perfect. Can't wait for the reveal - intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sewing slowly too. Love your new suit. The design lines are absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rhonda, I missed this post as I was away. You have so much on your plate at the moment, that chugging along in your own time to get the garment made is fine:)

    Some projects seem to go from mishap to mishap - usually when there is lots of topstitching to undo. You'll be glad to have it behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be able to finish the jacket next week. I can't wait to have it finished and on my back!!!

      Delete