f

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Good Morning! It's rhubarb time!! I'll never forget the first time I experienced rhubarb. Being from the south, it wasn't something that grew in our climate, and since we ate what we grew, we didn't have rhubarb. After moving to Chicago, I was babysitting and the mother told me that she had just baked a rhubarb pie and that I was welcome to have some. Having no idea what it was, when I first saw it I thought it a bit strange, it looked like celery. Who in their right mind would eat a celery pie? But temptation got the best of me and all it took was one bite and I was hooked. It was all I could do to not eat the entire pie! I now have a couple of rhubarb plants and I so look forward to the harvest. I cut it up and freeze as much as possible to have for sauce, pies and cakes throughout the winter. This morning I made crepes with a rhubarb and strawberry sauce.  
For the sauce, begin with about 2 cups of rhubarb. Add about 3/4 cup of sugar and place in a heavy sauce pan. Cover and cook on a medium high heat. Once the mixture has begun to boil, turn heat down and cook until rhubarb is cooked.
I do not cook the strawberries with the rhubarb. The strawberries are cut up and then mashed. I love some of my old utensils. The masher that you see in the above photo belonged to my mother in law. I love it.
 I like to leave chunks of berries in the mixture.
Combine with the warm rhubarb and adjust sugar to your taste. I love the sour taste of rhubarb, but you might want a little more sugar.
For the crepes;
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup of milk(almond milk is a delightful change)
1 Tablespoon of melted butter
1 cup of flour
There's my ancient blender again!! I begin by beating my eggs until frothy in my blender. As the blender is whirring, I add the milk and then the melted butter and finally the flour. The mixture is quite thin. If you feel that it is a little too thin, add just a little more flour.
I have a crepe pan, but if you don't, just use a medium size non-stick skillet. I know my French friends might be horrified by this, but it will work. Heat the pan.
 For my crepe pan, I have found that 1/3 cup of the batter is just perfect. Pour batter onto warm crepe pan and move pan around to disburse batter around the entire surface. Once the top is set, turn,
and cook for just a bit on the opposite side. Be sure to not over cook the crepes.
Fill crepes with a little sauce and pour a little more on top. Sprinkle on a little powdered sugar and devour!!

Isn't this the cutest little bowl? I bought it from a pottery shop in Augsburg, Germany. Three of our exchange students live there and we have had the opportunity to visit them a number of times. This little shop is a must for me. Their pieces are so whimsical. This was the first piece that I purchased. I stood in the store and laughed happily when I saw this bowl, a little elephant helping himself to a taste of the treat that the bowl holds. It makes me smile each and every time I use it. A good investment, an investment in joy!
 On another trip, I purchased this cup and saucer.
 I always have a friend to share my tea with.
 And on another trip, this little crow flew back with me.
 He keeps watch over my garden.
What a funny face.
Wishing you a lovely Sunday and hoping that you find something to make you smile.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Awesome looking brunch!! You have such a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee for both compliments. A lovely gift to start my day!!

      Delete
  2. I don't have rhubarb on hand (although I grew up with it & love it) but you've talked me into crepes for brunch this morn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberry Rhubarb pie is Norm's favorite! We had one just last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to make a pie especially for the two of you.

      Delete
  4. As one who is transplanted the other way, from the Midwest to the South, that picture of rhubarb made my mouth water.

    As a matter of fact, I had mumps when I was a teen...and the diagnosis was confirmed by the spasms I experienced when I tried to eat a piece of rhubarb pie.

    It was almost worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've become a rhubarb fanatic, I think I would go through spasms in order to have it as well. When I've been in Houston, I have seen rhubarb at Whole Foods. Not as good as picking fresh yourself, but might just hit the spot. Thanks for coming by Lisa!

      Delete
  5. Ooh yum! More rhubarb deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete