f

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Crocheted Beauties

I've spent an hour or two in an antique store over my lifetime. Actually, it's probably more like 1 or 200 hours. I especially love vintage linens. Over the years I've collected unfinished quilt tops that I have then lovingly finished, tablecloths that I've finished the embroidery and made tatting to edge them. A few very special pieces that I have vowed to no longer allow to remain in a box are the beautiful crocheted yokes pictured below. Originally made for nightgowns, the yokes are like little fillet works of art.


The pieces are light, floaty and as fresh as summer. 
I love how the one above still has the original pink ties threaded through the eyelets. I can imagine a lovely piece of linen was once attached to this little yoke.
The picture didn't turn out so well, but I took a piece of black knit, just a rectangle, with a few gathers across the front and back and attached the ecru piece of crochet. I intend to wear this with a pair of black leggings, easy dressing for summer.    
Such lovely work.
The edge of my knit had a wonderful edging along the selvedge, great for the hem. 
 If you are a crocheter and would like to give a yoke a try, the books are still available on Ebay.
I also found a few yokes available. You can see one here, another here on Etsy. The one on Etsy is a wonderful price by the way.You may get lucky in an antique store or resale shop at finding a few of these at very reasonable prices. Although, I'm afraid those days are over. I wish I had bought more when I had the chance. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20!!! 
Happy Hunting!  



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to use the lace yoke! I have never come across one of these. Over the years I have bought up yards of lace and lace collars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful ..... never saw something alike..... thank u for sharing ..

    ReplyDelete