f

Friday, June 29, 2012

Fabuous Free Pattern Friday

Happy Friday Everyone!!
You may remember that I posted this top last August, The Three In One Top. You can see that post here. The top can be worn as you see it below. It can be worn so that it drapes down the back, or you can wear it off your shoulders.
For today's post, I have done the pattern once again, but made it into a dress and added two more triangles at the hem as you see in the picture below. I have also made openings in the sides of the upper triangles so that I could thread a belt through.
This is a dress that is perfect after a day at the beach or the pool. It's easy to throw on and will take you anywhere you would like to go without looking like you've just come from the beach. Also great for a relaxing summer evening.
To do the dress, follow the instructions from the top (which you can find here) but lengthen it to your desired length. For the lowere triangles, I cut mine exactly the same dimensions as I cut the upper triangles. There is one change you will need to make to the lower triangles, the bottom will need to be rounded as you see in the picture below. 


The reason for this is that the angle of the trangle will rise in the middle if you do not round the center. You will need to come up 1 1/2" on the sides of the triangle.
Sew into the side seams as you would any gusset.
There are lots of different design ideas that can be added to this pattern. we'll go through a few more over the summer. Hope you're staying cool!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. Cool? That snapping you heard was the sound of my poor frozen toes breaking off. Sydney is blue sky beautiful and freezing right now. Love love love your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just on my way to my studio to work on my Sleeves On Saturdays post when I saw your message. I laughed so hard so I had to sit down and reply. Wish you were here to hear me. Wish you were here for the warm air as well. I'm still laughing about your poor little toes!!!

      Delete
  2. It's fun reading your FFPF posts and learning what we can do with rectangles and triangles. Thanks Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Your the best for sharing your creative designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rhonda,
    Is the bottom tip of the sleeve attached to the side? I cannot tell from the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I'm not sure about what you are asking. Give me a call and we'll talk about it.

      Delete