f

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday's Soup

Sweet Potato Soup
I'm sure many of you by now are running around like mad trying prepare everything for Christmas. I too have a lot on my to do list. Today's soup is another one that I found on the William's Sonoma website. It is sooo simple to make, very few ingredients, and it has a nice mellow taste that is not overpowered by the sweet potatoes. If by chance you are looking or thinking about a soup to start off your holiday meal, this is one that I would highly recommend.  You can find it here on the William's Sonoma website, http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/sweet-potato-soup.html The only change that I will be making to the recipe is that I plan to add a little milk to the soup when I serve it. I felt that it could use it. Something that you can decide once you make it.

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1 leek, white portion only, halved, rinsed and
      thinly sliced
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into
      2-inch pieces
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)

Directions:

Sauté the vegetables

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leek and celery and sauté until the leek is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. 

Puree the soup
Using a food processor or blender, (I use a hand held mixing wand)process the soup to a smooth puree. Return the soup to the pan and reheat to serving temperature. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with the pecans and serve. Serves 4.
To toast pecans, preheat an oven to 325°F. Scatter the pecans on a baking sheet and toast, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 10 minutes. You can also toast them, shaking often, in a dry fry pan over medium heat for 10 minutes.

Looks inviting don't you think?!! My soup bowls don't match my Christmas plates, but that's okay, the soup's good :)
Happy Holidays!!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. For the first time this year we have grown sweet potatoes! I have never cooked or eaten them before so this recipe is just what I'm looking for!!
    Thanks Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like sweet potatoes a lot. They are like a cross between a squash and a potato. I hope you enjoy the soup!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole. May you and your family have a wonderful Christmas too!

      Delete