f

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Tree Of Life Bag

For those of you who tune in to Fabulous Free Pattern Fridays, the post is still coming. I may not have it ready until tomorrow morning, but it is coming!! It's a fun little item. It's a dress, it's a top, it's sexy and it's not.The thought process has taken a little longer than I had thought it would, but I'm almost there.
I am only three months late on this bag, but I have finally finished it and I am so very happy with it.
I just can't wait to use it.
There's one last little touch that I want to add and that's a zipper pull of some sort.
It's lined and I put a hard bottom in it. I used the heavy weight chip board for my bottom. (As you can see, I did not match my stripes. I was a bit short on fabric. Except for the fact that I have shown the world the inside of my bag, for the most part, I am the only one who will be looking inside.)
I had promised to post the pattern and do a little knit along for anyone who would like to make the bag with me. I do have a question. You can't tell from the pictures, but the bag is rather large. I like how large it is, but some or even most may not. As it is now, the bag measures, 9" high by 17" long by 4 1/2" deep. I can easily change the pattern and reduce the length of the bag by 4" which will result in the bag being 13" long rather than 17". My personal opinion is that this would be a more suitable measurement for most people.
For the materials you will need;
U.S. size 10 knitting Needles
Cable holder
750 yards of #5 Bulky yarn
Purchased handles
Lining
I backed my lining, but we can talk more about this when we get to that point.
I will post the pattern and start my new bag for the knit along next Wednesday. Unless I hear otherwise, I will post a pattern for a little smaller version of this bag. 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. Love it as well. I'd like to make the larger bag. Would it be too much to ask you to post both sizes (with the larger units in parenthesis)? Lynn B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun project to do along with you. I just purchased some cashmere and silk yarn to make a sweater, but I can attempt to do the bag along with you and put the sweater on the back burner. Whe-e-e-e-e another project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I'm a beginning knitter but love to see the pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic! Might I ask which exact yarn you used? Is the pattern you're going to do the same size except for length? That's the way I read it, but wanted to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I will go ahead and do another bag exactly like this one as everyone seems to want to do the exact same size. I still want to make a smaller version, so that will have to wait just a bit:). For the smaller version I am going to eliminate two rows of cables, so it will look very similar. The yarn that I used was given to me.

      Delete