f

Friday, October 26, 2012

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

I had such a good time putting together today's new pattern. It's basically one big rectangle with the addition of a rectangle for one sleeve and the other sleeve is just a rectangle that is extended from the original rectangle. I'm calling this top 
The Rolling Rectangle Top 
I have to apologize for the pictures. I had no idea that they were so blurry. Hopefully, you can at least get the idea of the top.
The above picture is the finished top laid flat. You can see that it is one big rectangle with a dolman type extension for one sleeve and the other sleeve was a rectangle that I tapered once I was able to try it on. The neck opening is in the top right hand corner.
You can see the rectangle shape above since I am bent to the side.
Again, I am so sorry about these pictures. It is very difficult to see, but the one side drapes and the other side sits close to the body.
I'm bending in the opposite direction here and you can see the one side is close to the body and the other side is draped.
To draft the top, you will need your hip measurement and the length that you would like your finished top to be.
This top needs to be made from a 2-way stretch knit fabric.
Begin with a basic rectangle. The lower measurement is 1/2 your hip measurement. The length is your desired length. This top needs to be close fitting so do not add ease to your hip measurement.   
The top left hand corner is the neck opening. Measure down 9". At the 4 1/2" mark, in the middle of what will be the neck opening, measure in 4" and curve this line for the neck opening as you see above. From the 9" point, measure out for your sleeve. This measurement will be the length from your neck edge to your wrist. Be sure to add a few extra inches as you can always cut away, it's a little more difficult to add back!! On the top right side you see the extension for the opposite sleeve. You can see below that I did not cut this on my top. This was added once I cut my rectangle. What I recommend is to cut the top as I have below. Sew it up and leave an opening for your arm. Try on the top and measure how much more you will need for the sleeve and then sew it to the opening. You'll waste less fabric. 

From the above picture you can see that the neck opening is in the top right hand corner.  
The flat version of my finished top. Look closely and you will see that the top seam has a slight curve at the neckline. Once you try the top on, you will be able to pinch in however much you need to for the curve of the shoulder. You can also see that I tapered my sleeves for a close fit.
Crazy me in my new top.
Rolling Rectangles. I really like this top, and I hope you give it a try. It was a lot of fun to put together and I really enjoyed wearing it.
Hope you've had a wonderful week.
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. Its great fun Rhonda. A shame the photos came out a bit blurry. Do you think it's best made in a print to emphasize the direction change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ruthie, I was so bummed about the pictures. I'm going to try and take some more. I was going to do the top in a solid fabric and then I came across this print and thought it would show the twist to the rectangle much better. I think it would be pretty in just about any 2-way stretch knit fabric. Let me know if you give it a try. I know you have a lot on your plate right now. Good luck with your holiday sale.

      Delete
  2. Great top. I might have to give this one a try when life slows up a bit. I love the inspiration and ideas. I'm a conservative dresser but love your clothes.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is only a little off beat. Let me know if you do decide to give it a try.

      Delete
  3. Lovely top and like the print you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More offbeat the better. I'll give it a try when the weather cools down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're heading into your summer.
      I tend to forget that you're on the opposite side of the equator. We're gearing up for cold, cold weather! People think I'm crazy, but I can't wait for the first snow fall and the chance to strap on my snow shoes:)

      Delete
  5. Love this top! This is a must-try. Thank you for sharing your creative work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you do a You Tube video of how to make this top? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think you could make a YouTube video of how to make this top? That would be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Georgia, I will be more than happy to do a video on how I drafted the top. I will do my best to get it out by the end of the week. I'll let you know when it's up. Thanks for asking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rhonda. I am looking forward to the video!

      Delete