f

Friday, October 5, 2012

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday/Geometric Dreams Jacket

I feel like it has been such a long time since I've done a FFPF post. But it was only two weeks ago as I missed last Friday due to the fact that I was trying to get my garment finished for the Passion For Fashion contest. I have been wiped out all week, but I'm back with a fun little jacket. Believe it or not, it's just one rectangle, one half circle and one triangle. I'm calling it the 
Geometric Dreams Jacket 
The half circle actually wraps all the way around and stops at the center back neckline. The excess of the circle falls over the back or drapes to the front.
In this picture of the back, you can see the triangle that radiates out of center back.
This piece needs to be made with a knit. It does not need to be a two-way stretch knit, but it should have a nice stretch in the crosswise grain. The first measurement that you will need is the measurement around your arm.
Cut a rectangle from your fabric, I cut mine from one side of the selvedge to the other. The width of your rectangle will be the measurement around your arm. The width of my rectangle was 14". You will need to sew the ends of the rectangle and leave the center area open. This should not be tight under your arm, so you may need to adjust your stitching.
A view of the now tube from the back. This is just a basic shrug at this point.
Measure the center opening of the tube you have just sewn. This will determine the width of your half circle. You will need this measurement plus 6 to 8" for the top portion of the collar. I was able to use the width of my fabric. The length of your half circle will be the desired length from the bottom of the shrug/tube.
With your fabric folded, or if you need more width you will need a double piece of fabric. As you see above, draw in a curve along the edge of your fabric.
If you are able to cut the half circle on the fold, cut your half circle in half.
In order for the jacket to hang well at center back, you will need to add a triangle. The width of the triangle at the widest point should be 3/4 of your hip measurement. So if your hips are 40", your triangle at the widest point will be 30". The length will be the same as the center cut edge of your half circles. Sew together as you see above.  
Now take the half circles and the triangle that you have sewn together and sew to the center opening of your tube as you see above. leave the excess length of the half circle free. This will form the portion of the collar that drapes to the front of the jacket or over the back, your choice.
As I said, the triangle is necessary as the lower portion of the jacket will not hang free without the extra fabric. You can see below the center of the triangle at center back.
The triangle will wrap to the front and give your hips the room that they need.
Finish the edges, hem the sleeves and you are good to go. If you would like, you can taper the sleeves. I chose not to as I would like to wear other pieces under the jacket and I don't want the sleeves to end up being too tight. A super easy jacket and there are only 3 easy pieces!
Happy Friday Everyone!!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

23 comments:

  1. Very creative design Rhonda! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flow of the lines on the front of this - just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a wonderful compliment. Thanks do much Jilly.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Shams. I'll have some time to "talk" next week. I'll be in touch!

      Delete
  4. That is very very cool and I want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try it. Too Cute. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I adore the drape of the collar. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing Rhonda! Brilliant design...adore it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I just saw that you joined the blog. Thanks so much and a big welcome!! So happy to have you.

      Delete
  8. Another fabulous design - ever thought about putting all these in a book? I'd buy it.
    Do you think it'll work in leather?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you 4 sharing this brilliant design!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this brilliant design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outstanding! I love this design. And you make it look so easy. What types of fabric do you recommend? Fleece, wool coats?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are just amazing--and also very generous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. really interesting. Thank's for this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rhonda!

    I found your site/Blog on Pinterest. I love this jacket! Can you please give me an estimate in how much fabric to buy? I want to make this Awesome jacket soon... Thank you again! Great and Creative work! Blessings to you and yours!

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helena, depending on how long you would like the jacket to be, 3 yards should be plenty. Good luck! Let me see your creation when you finish.

      Delete
  15. P e r f e c t. F a n t a s t i c.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this pattern. As I'm 100% allergic to wool, can you recommend some other fabrics that would work well with this?

    ReplyDelete