f

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Fashion In Harmony Magic Bias Dress/Color Blocking

As I started to prepare for the Fashion In Harmony Magic Bias Dress sew along, I just couldn't make up my mind about what fabric I wanted to use. I have changed my mind more times than a girl should have a right to!
Sew News wanted me to do a post on color blocking for this week's post and you can find it HERE. What I discovered is that you can make this pattern a multitude of ways and basically never have the same dress twice. Once again, a magic dress!!
The first piece that I did as a color blocked version is the tie-dye version below. This piece of fabric is a border print. I placed the main pattern piece for the dress along the edge of the selvedge so that the bright orange would be the most prevalent and sweep around the dress. 



The long triangular piece was placed where the orange bleeds into the yellow.
Please forgive me, I have yet to press the seams. But below you can see how the orange bleeds into the lower portion of the triangular piece and matches up with the dress. In the front, the light orange under the front yoke looks like a separate piece and gives the illusion of color blocking.

As I said, there are so many possibilities for customizing this dress. If by chance you have a couple of fabrics that are of the same weight and drape, but not long enough for the pattern, you can sew them together as you see below. This could make for some very interesting combinations.


After I sent the post in to Sew News, I realized that I left something out. PLEASE be sure to get a straight edge prior to sewing fabrics together. 
To do this simply snip the edge of your fabric and then rip it across. Be careful though. Some fabrics will run, so test the edge first to be sure that the fabric can be safely ripped.

In case you missed it, you can find this week's post HERE on the Sew News blog. 

If you are working on the Magic Bias Dress and have some pictures that you would like to share, I have created a link up on this post. I just ask that you limit this to Magic Bias Dress pictures only. If you have a picture that you would like to share, but can't figure out how to link  it up, you are always welcome to send your pictures to me directly at sewbussted@yahoo.com 

Hope you are having fun with your dresses!
Rhonda                      





Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. Love the dress!! Such a great use of the fabric. Cheers, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that orange and yellow fabric is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is YUMMY! Looks like you could eat it with a cup of hot tea! I'm going to find the pattern right now!
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress would look so cute on you Joy. It's so easy to wear...and make!!!

      Delete
  4. I really love that fabric, the colours are wonderful. Unfortunately I will not be buying the pattern, the international postage makes it just too expensive, but I look forward to seeing you in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, What a marvelous interpretation of the Magic Bias Dress!
    I'm having the same problem with setting up my mind on what fabric to use... Still have to work on finding the right fabric for this dress. In the meanwhile I'll write a post on my blog about the pattern and will link up to some of your blog posts, hope you don't mind! :)

    ReplyDelete