f

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Eating For Your Future/Spicy Vegetable Dump Slaw

Sometimes I cheat! 
Now that I have your attention :), I'll explain. I love a good salad, but we all know that at times, putting the whole thing together can seem like such an effort. So when I'm feeling quite lazy, I like to pull open a package and dump away!
The items that I use come from a store here in America called Trader Joe's. Although the chain has expanded, they aren't everywhere, but I do know that many grocery stores carry packages of broccoli slaw and chopped Brussels sprouts.
The sauce or dressing is Trader Joe's Island Soyaki. You could easily make your own, with soy sauce, roasted sesame oil, and garlic powder. The sauce is a little sweet as it does contain sugar, but it's not a necessary ingredient. So look around, you may find a similar sauce in your grocery store.

Spicy Vegetable Dump Slaw

Ingredients;
1 Bag of Broccoli Slaw
1 Bag Shaved Brussels Sprouts
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
1 small onion chopped
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1 jalapeno pepper seeded(or not!)and chopped
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup Island Soyaki
salt and black pepper to taste

Begin by cooking 1/2 cup of quinoa in 1 cup of water. Follow package instructions.
While quinoa cooks, chop the onion, green bell pepper, parsley and jalapeno pepper. I like a bit of spice, so I usually leave at least half of the seeds in my jalapeno. 
Dump all ingredients in a bowl. Add sauce and stir well to coat all vegetables. Add quinoa, stir again and serve. I do not allow my quinoa to cool.

My lunch with a couple of stuffed grape leaves on the side. Heaven :) 


The salad has the zing of the jalapeno and the fresh taste of the parsley. The addition of the sunflower seeds and quinoa adds protein, making this a well balance salad. Allowing the salad to sit over night makes it even better, so great for an easy dinner and perfect for lunch the next day.  
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Thanks for sharing. I will be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete