f

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sunday's Soup/Cannellini Bean, Spinach and Orzo Soup with Pesto

The weather here in Chicago has no idea of what it wants to be. We have a 60 degree day, followed by a day of almost freezing temperatures. For me that means keeping a pot of soup on the stove, especially something that really feeds my soul.  

This is an easy to make soup, full of lots of good things. The next time around, I plan to add more spinach and less of the orzo pasta. The pasta really absorbed a lot of liquid. I'll give you the ingredient list that I used and if you make it, then you can also decide if in the future you too would like a little more spinach and a little less orzo.


Cannellini Bean, Spinach and Orzo Soup with Pesto

Ingredients;
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large cloves of garlic minced
1 onion diced
1/2 lb. baby portabello mushrooms sliced
2 carrrots chopped 
1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Basil
7 cups vegetable stock
2 Bay Leaves
1 cup uncooked orzo
6 oz. spinach chopped
1 15oz. can of cannellinin beans rinsed and drained
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup chopped parsley
salt, pepper to taste

For Pesto;
1 bunch of fresh basil, approximately 1/2 cup packed
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 clove of garlic
salt 

Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is tender. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender. Add thyme and basil.
Add carrots, vegetable stock, orzo and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until pasta has cooked. 
Add spinach, beans and parsley and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to wither spinach and heat beans.
Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.

For the pesto,
Place fresh basil in a small food processor, add olive oil and garlic, blend until it forms a smooth and somewhat liquidy paste. Add salt to taste.

To serve, dish up the soup and top with a teaspoon of the pesto, and enjoy!

This is a quick and easy soup to make. As long as you have the ingredients, no more than 30 minutes. Great for dinner and wonderful for lunch.
By the way, I did add some red pepper flakes. I just almost can't eat without some hot pepper :)
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous, Rhonda! I'm definitely going to try this one, and as I am addicted to spinach, I'll add lots more and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say twice the spinach and half the orzo should be perfect. Good Luck :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the recipe. I made the soup last Sunday, using vermicelli instead of orzo because my store did not carry that. It was delicious! It came out rather thick, but I liked just that and will surely prepare it again in the very near future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you liked it :) whatever type of pasta you use is going to absorb the liquid. That's why I decided after I made it that I would use half the orzo and a good bit more spinach. But thick is great too!! Makes it more of a stew :)

      Delete