f

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Water World

Chicago flooded today. Below is a view from my front door after the water had begun to subside. 
Although the water had begun to subside, it still felt like there was water everywhere.
To give you an idea of how high the water was. the poles in the picture below were completely submerged at one point.
My husband started marking the highest rain falls. He'll be able to mark an all time high once he can get back down to the pier.
Although we live along the river, our house sits quite high so we never have any problems with water in the house, except today. Water bubbled up through the drains in the floor and my husband and I went to work removing as much of my studio as we could. It's amazing just how much you can accomplish when you have to. The water subsided quickly and I spent the rest of the day cleaning. I'm pooped! All in all, I'm counting my blessings. We were able to remove all the things that are low to the floor so nothing was ruined, the water subsided quickly and sadly there are many others who have it so much worse than us.
Off to bed I go. I have a feeling that I will be asleep the minute my head hits the pillow :-)



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

15 comments:

  1. Oh WOW, Rhonda! I'm glad your damage was minimal and that you saved your sewing studio! Sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! That is no way to recover from your surgery. Lucky you managed to get everything out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're pretty soggy here in the western suburbs. The little barn where my daughter rides had to evacuate their 20 horses to the county fairgrounds; schools were closed (her high school is by by a lake, which was covering the football field this morning); our public library was flooded and will be cloaed until next Monday at least, and many home and business owners are waiting for their basements to drain. We were lucky, and everything inside has stayed dry. The good news is that Illinois is no longer in a drought, which was devastating last year.
    Glad you saved the studio...aren't you clad you were awake when it happened?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, I don't envy you this at all. I'm glad you didn't have worse. I live in a flood prone area and nearly had water through my house a few years ago. It's not fun. No wonder you are popped. It takes a few days for everything to get back to normal. Glad your studio was rescued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I'm glad you didn't lose anything in your studio. That would have been tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you were able to get your studio things up and out of danger. Glad you didn't suffer the water damage that could have been. Some Chicago friends are purchasing a house where there was a lot of rain, and some parts of the neighborhoods were flooded but their house, like yours, was on higher ground.
    I hope you don't get anymore great big, wet storms! Take care Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I can understand you counting your blessings, water damage is dreadful. My thoughts are with your neighbours who are not so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Floods are scary and messy. Stay safe and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are amazing. So glad you were able to avoid damage. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you were able to rescue your studio things. I can empathize - in the horrible Spring of 2010, I was flooded out of my studio and had to move everything out. Nothing lost, fortunately, but a complete remodel had to be done. I hope the waters subside soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you didn't have serious damage. I had my basement flood twice several years ago and I still run down to check every time it rains. Stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Despite the flooding what a wonderful place to live! and so glad there was no damage done to your property.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Water damage is a bear. So happy you were home and able to get things up off the floor. On a brighter note, what a lovely view, even with high water. Sleep tight

    ReplyDelete