f

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Weekend Sewing Frenzy

The water that we had in our basement threw me for a loop. I had planned to get a project finished that I needed for a talk that I gave yesterday. Well, best laid plans....didn't happen. Instead, as I told you, I spent the rest of the day cleaning and trying to get things back into some order. So, I missed my Sleeves on Saturday post, no soup was made on Sunday, but I did finish everything that I needed to finish! Today I'm sharing one of those pieces. I began with this Indigo Junction pattern,
and I made this coat. Look in the left hand corner of the photo and you can see the dress I wore on Saturday night!! I need to put that away :-)
The fabric is a beautiful piece of summer weight wool from Pendelton. I absolutely love this fabric.
It drapes beautifully, sews beautifully, basically did exactly everything that I wanted it to do.
The sleeves were redrafted. I did the sleeve that I did on the jacket below.
This sleeve was done as a Sleeves On Saturday post and you can find the instructions here, http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2012/03/sleeves-on-saturday.html
The pattern called for large snaps to be sewn in rather than buttonholes. I sat contemplating snaps versus buttonholes. I had the snaps, but I thought, "oh my, how tacky." Back and forth I went and then I finally realized that I would never be happy with snaps sewn in, so I got out my silk organza and made the bound buttonholes. In the time I spent contemplating the buttonholes versus the snaps, I could have had the buttonholes made!! In the end, I made the right decision.
This is the back side of my buttonholes. I must admit that I was rather proud of how the back turned out. If you would like to see how I did these buttonholes, here is a tutorial I did a while back, http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2012/10/bound-button-holes.html
The pattern calls for this jacket to be unlined, but as you can see, I lined mine. I just love the way it looks.
I'm not a fan of dropped shouldered sleeves, but the jacket looked lovely on. I wore it with a short straight skirt. There is enough of the plaid leftover to make a matching pencil skirt which I will make as I think it will make such a smart looking outfit. Sadly, I did not take a picture of me in the jacket. Once the skirt is made though, I will get a picture.
I have three other pieces that I made over the weekend. I'll share those with you on Thursday.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

20 comments:

  1. Lovely work Rhonda...flood can't put you down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can!!, but I had to get the project finished regardless.

      Delete
  2. I love your coat. Impressive buttonholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I was especially happy with the buttonholes and happy that I didn't give into being lazy!

      Delete
  3. Your coat is smart, even with the rounded shoulders - I think the plaid makes it so. Bound buttonholes were certainly the right call here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree:) I never would have been happy with the snaps.

      Delete
  4. The coat is lovely, and the rounded shoulders do look alright - I guess these shapes are back again, and also the plaid works with them. The bound buttonholes and large self cover buttons were certainly the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. Matching skirt will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is darling! The fabric choice is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow! You made a lined coat AND three other things over the weekend? Wow! You really are a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful coat! You are one amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh,how can you make all that beautifull things in a short time.You are really a wizard.These pretty wizard we watch on TV.....!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pattern has been calling out to me for a long time. I absolutely love your version and bet you get miles of style out of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were to make the jacket again, I would alter the sleeves so that they are not off the shoulders, I just like a jacket with a little more fit in the shoulders. But...the jacket is perfect either dressed up or down. It looks great with a pencil skirt and just as good with jeans.

      Delete
  11. The coat is gorgeous! Love the fun lining! ... and all those checks to match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is so lovely and easy to sew, the plaid was really no issue.
      I love the lining too!!

      Delete
  12. Rhonda you are an amazing person. So sorry to hear you had floods. I hope hope it didn't creep into your house..... that would be disasterous and most upsetting.

    Cathy White.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have water sadly, but it wasn't horrible and we have cleaned up everything, So all's well that ends well!

      Delete