f

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday's Soup

Today's soup marks number 21! A friend of mine is cheering me on to create 52 soups, one for every week of the year. Summer vegetables will start coming in soon, like tomatoes and corn. I've had a roasted corn soup idea floating around in my brain, but I want to wait until I can get nice, fresh sweet corn as I want to roast it in the husks and besides, fresh corn is so very good. 
Today's soup is a spicy soup and full of flavor. It's quite hearty, but still low in calories. It's,
Spicy Crab Meat Stew  
 The ingredients;
1 medium size yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
8 oz. of Baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
1 red pepper, fire roasted
2 good sized potatoes, chopped into cubes
2 zucchini chopped
1 bunch of green onions chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh minced ginger
2 tablespoons of Thai red curry paste(or to taste)
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 28 oz. cans of fire roasted tomatoes
 1 1lb. can of crab meat
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 lemon sliced
salt and black pepper to taste
6 cups of water

Begin by roasting the red pepper. I talked about roasting red peppers here. It's best to do this first as the pepper needs to sweat for about 15 minutes.
While the pepper is sweating, add olive oil to large pot and heat. Add yellow onion and saute on medium heat until tender. About 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes. Add tomatoes. If you are using whole canned tomatoes, break them up. Add sugar and the water along with the potatoes, zucchini, red curry paste, and minced ginger. Bring to a boil and then reduce and simmer until potatoes are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
While the stew is simmering, removed charred skin from pepper. Remove the core as well as the seeds, chop and add to stew.
Add crab meat and green onions, reserving some for garnish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat until crab meat is hot.
To serve, ladle stew into bowls, garnish with reserved crab meat and green onions. Serve with lemon slices on the side.
My husband is out of town, so I am here to enjoy this all by myself. Such a pity;) Actually, he'll be home soon and there will be plenty for him to enjoy as well!!
We finally had an incredible day yesterday and people were out in droves. Great weather makes the soul feel so good!
Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

1 comment:

  1. Oh this looks so good! I have a can of crab in the fridge - I always keep one in there as my 'ace in the hole'. If I don't feel much like cooking, it literally takes just a few minutes to whip up a simple crab bisque, one of my husband's favorites. He will love this one too. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete