f

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday's Soup

I must be in a middle eastern frame of mind as today's soup is another nod to the middle east. I absolutely love hummus. At any given time, there is usually a container in my refrigerator. It's easy to make, very nutritious and a great source of protein. So I thought, hmmm, I think the basis for hummus could make a lovely soup, and according to my husband, it did! So today's soup is
Creamy Hummus/Chickpea Soup 
 The ingredients;
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 29 oz. cans of chickpeas
1 cup of tahini(tahini is ground sesame seeds that have been made into a paste, similar to peanut butter, but do not substitute peanut butter!)
3 cups of shredded carrots
1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley
1 bunch of green onions chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lemon
salt and black pepper to taste
paprika and feta cheese for garnish

Heat oil in large pot. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas along with the liquid, reserving 1/4 of the chickpeas. Add tahini and stir well. Using an immersible hand mixer, blend the chickpea mixture until creamy. Add reserved chickpeas, carrots, green onions, parsley, water, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and stir well.
To serve, garnish with paprika and feta cheese. You can also add fried bacon, pancetta or ham to the soup if you would like a non-vegetarian version.
A little joke...
This past week, both of my dogs were sick. My husband and I searched our minds trying to think of what could have possibly made them sick. Of course them being sick meant a trip to the vet. But, as it usually goes, they did not get sick at the same time, so there were two trips and of course this is never cheap. Anyway, I do think the world of my vet. He's a very caring person and always seems to never be in a rush, but takes time to hear about how they as well as how I am doing. I told him that we think they may have had a drink from the pond. It just thawed recently and my husband has not had a chance to drain it or clean it out. We also thought that maybe their food had somehow gone bad. We discussed the possibility of cooking food for them which I have in the past.  Today, while I was making the soup, I also boiled chicken for them. My husband is always so wonderful to clean up my mess. As he was washing the pot where I had boiled the chicken he asked what had been in the pot. I said, "the chicken for the dogs." He replied, "O, the dogs get chicken and all I get is vegetables!!" O well :-)
Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday!
Rhonda  



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. Hey, tell him when he is sick, he'll get chicken too! lol Always look forward to you soup posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fried bacon for him for breakfast. He just likes to make me feel that he is deprived;)
      Thanks Linda.

      Delete
  2. The soup is lovely sounding and looking. It reminds me to make some Hummus when I get the chance to do it.

    Funny story about the doggies' chicken (and hubby's lament), except, of course that they were sick. :-( Poor little ones! Our little fella recently fell probably while trying to jump onto the bed while we were gone so three trips to the vet later, he's getting prednisone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo prednisone, lots of trips outside!!! From my experience, it makes them drink a lot and of course.....pee a lot as well! Good luck and I hope that he's doing better. My little dog has arthritis in her spine which causes sharp nerve pain when the vertebrae shift the wrong way. I got a little set of stairs for her so that she is not jumping on and off the bed. I just started taking her for acupuncture and it is helping. She is 13, so whatever I can do to keep her out of pain in her latter years is fine by me!

      Delete
  3. Yummy recipe. Little Zelda just today ate 1) a roll of duct tape, and b) a CD. Although she got caught mid-CD. She is our rescue, and definitely has a strong constitution! I hope your dogs feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man!!!! I do hope she is okay. You wonder what they are thinking when they do things like that!!!

      Delete
  4. Greeting from KSA. Great sounding hummus soup. Have you tried a hummus and tabouli sandwich? Really good. Or labneh (yogurt cheese-like) and tomato.? We have lived here 13 years and the cuisine lends to experimentation. Love, love love your blog and creativity. Hope you're healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it all. I make a tabouli that I love but is not at all traditional. I just found a restaurant that belongs to a woman who makes the most wonderful falafel. I'm having her make a few dozen for me so I can bring them home and freeze them. Maybe I came from the middle east in another life:)
      Thanks so much for your thoughts. I had my first great day yesterday and I am feeling more and more like myself again!!

      Delete