f

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Bing cherries are finally back in season. I am so very happy. A bag of cherries is never safe around me. So since it's Bing Cherry time, it's time for some homemade waffles with a Bing Cherry Syrup.
I've already eaten and my mouths waters at the sight of the picture. The waffles are Walnut Waffles. You can substitute any nut you wish, or delete the nuts altogether.
Walnut Waffles
1 3/4 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
 1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 3/4 cups of milk
3 eggs separated
6 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon of Almond Extract
Pinch of Cream of Tartar
Preheat waffle iron.
Begin by combining milk, egg yolks, melted butter, and extract. Whisk well. 
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Sift and then combine with liquid ingredients. At this point, add chopped walnuts.
In another bowl, combine Cream of Tartar with egg whites. Beat until soft peaks form. Fold into waffle mixture.
 There should be little clouds of white in the bowl, so don't stir until completely combined.
Grease your waffle iron and pour batter onto griddle. Cook until browned.
Bing Cherry Syrup
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 cup of warm water
2 cups of stemmed and pitted bing cherries
1 teaspoon of almond extract
Combine sugars and water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add cherries and lower heat and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes or until cherries are cooked.
Pour over waffles and enjoy!!!
I just want to give a quick shout out to Yuki of My Cat Loves Food and Fabric. Last week I posted a recipe for cake donuts. Yuki made them and they looked wonderful. The picture is below. Yum!
I would also like to thank Terri K of http://sewsophisticated.blogspot.com/. She sent a recipe for Baked Cake Donuts. They look great and I will be giving them a try very soon. If you would like to give them a try before I do, here is the link, http://www.mrsfieldssecrets.com/blogs/blog/2010/01/recipe-baked-cake-donuts/
Have a wonderful day. I'm out to do a little digging in my garden. I must be mad as this is supposed to be a record breaking day of 97 degrees. Oh well, Mad Dogs and English Men!!! 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. Dang, woman, I want some of those! I am the same around a bag of cherries - no self control at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmm! Thanks for another great recipe. I love to make healthy breakfasts. Last week I made a big rhubarb/strawberry compote with just a couple TB of sugar. Pancakes and waffles are good for quick dinner too. If you run out of cherries, we like the tart Swedish lingonberry preserves sold at IKEA. 2 TB is only 70 calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the healthiest of breakfasts, but a splurge a week I think is okay. My husband loves lingonberrries. I have purchased the lingonberry preserves from Ikea, but we have a little Sewdish shop near our home and I usually try to buy them there, you know, buy local!! He especially loves the lingonberries with crepes.

      Delete