f

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Today is our neighborhood garage sale, so we didn't actually have brunch, we had.....
Doughnuts!
The recipe that I will share with you is so easy and it's another one of those make it ahead recipes, so it makes the morning preparation so easy.
What you'll need;
3 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of milk
3 tablespoons of oil
Beat the eggs until fluffy. I use my blender (check out my super old blender, hey, it works!!). Gradually add the sugar, then add the milk and oil. This is not a very sweet doughnut, so if you like a sweeter doughnut, add more sugar. If you would like, you can also add a little vanilla extract, or my favorite, almond extract.
Sift together;
3 cups of flour
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg or any spice that you like
Combine the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
The dough will be quite firm. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour. I leave mine in the refrigerator overnight.
Once chilled, or the next morning, roll out the dough to 1/2"  thickness. This is a cake type doughnut. Before rolling out the dough, you can kneed chopped fresh apples into the dough. Once rolled out, cut out the doughnuts. Fry in oil heated to 370 degrees. Make sure your oil does not get too hot as the doughnuts will cook to fast and will not cook in the center. Once browned on both sides, remove from oil and drain on paper towels. 
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm. So, are they good? My husband ate 5!!, yes 5.
Hope you're having a lovely Sunday.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda - I enjoyed making the crunchy french toast you posted for Sunday brunch back in March, esp the bananas foster-like topping.

    Since we don't have a fryer or deep fry in oil anymore, I searched for a similar baked cake doughnut and found this interesting recipe on Mrs. Fields Secrets blog - link here

    http://www.mrsfieldssecrets.com/blogs/blog/2010/01/recipe-baked-cake-donuts/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I checked out the recipe. I love it. I so rarely fry anything so it's always a chore when I do. I will be trying this out very soon. Thanks so much.

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome. And thank you for all the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. The doughnuts were delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete