f

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Paco's Draped Top

I can't believe that I posted this jacket in April. Somehow I thought that not that much time had passed since I made this jacket, but it has. Oh well!! You can see that post here. The jacket feels so lovely and I can't wait to wear it, but I want the right pieces to go with it before I do. 
When I ordered the jacket pattern from Paco, I also ordered the Draped Top pattern as well.
So what better to go under his jacket than his top? I had enough of the fabric I used for the lining to make the top. Actually, I had barely enough. I would have liked to have bound the back neckline and the armholes in the fabric, but there just wasn't enough.
It looks so pretty under the jacket and the fit is wonderful. I did take it up a bit, but that was my only adjustment.
I have been on a kick about using what I have. It would have been a little nicer had I used a pale pink seam binding, but I had the off white, so good enough. As you can see, I did french seams everywhere except for the shoulder seams.
You can see the shoulder seam in the picture below. I just couldn't bear to leave the seam unfinished.
Paco provides a back neck facing which I did not use. Just a personal taste thing, I like to bind the edge of the neckline, but usually I use a strip of bias I have cut from the fashion fabric.
I highly recommend the pattern. It is extremely easy to put together. I am going to make it again, lengthen it for a dress and make it out of knit fabric.
I have one more piece to do before the outfit is complete. I think...I hope I have enough to make this pair of pants. I bought a pair of killer white platform sandals that will look fantastic with this pair of pants so I will be very disappointed if I just don't have enough fabric.
It seems that I am on a common wave length with a few of my fellow bloggers these days. Yesterday, Ruth did a post on this exact same pair of pants. You can read her post her. I think you'll enjoy it. She tells about this beautiful linen sheet that was such a lovely piece of fabric except that it had a hole worn in it. She has since made two garments from the sheet and so it lives on.
 
I turned on my computer this afternoon and found a post from Paco. He posted about this exact same top. You can read the post here. If you are interested in making the top, this post is a valuable tool as he walks you through his process. His top is underlined and all the seams are bound in silk organza. Mine is not as you saw. Check out the tiny little hand stitching he did around the armhole. Simply beautiful.
He also added a zipper. I did not. I really didn't need it.
He also added a weight to the draped neckline. Once again, I did not. To be honest, the drape of the neckline is so lovely and it really did not need a weight, at least in the fabric I used. I was even surprised that I can bend over without showing my chest to the world.
I'll post my entire outfit on me once I've finished the pants. It shouldn't be too long, I hope.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

14 comments:

  1. Love the jacket and top! I also love how you finished the seams. I have not heard of Paco Peralta before it was interesting to see his finishing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paco is just the best. His patterns are lovely. I've only made the jacket and now the top, but based on these two pieces, I would recommend any of his patterns. He is a true master when it comes to finishing details.

      Delete
    2. beautiful and classy. I love the lining matching the blouse.

      Delete
  2. Your top is simply beautiful. It looks lovely with the elegant jacket. White pants would be fabulous with your new white platforms. I hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the fabric. I really wanted to wear hose new shoes with pants!!

      Delete
  3. beautiful finishing touches.. make the outfit so special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to make a top like Paco did in his post now that I've tried out the pattern. His touches are truly special.

      Delete
  4. The jacket looks absolutely gorgeous, as does the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. They are both lovely patterns and so easy to sew.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful jacket and blouse. Now I'm waiting for the pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cennetta. I just hope I have enough fabric for the pants. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll find out tonight.

      Delete
  6. I meant to comment earlier, but life - hey you know... Your jacket and top are gorgeous together - really haute couture look - you'd never buy that in a shop. Just beautiful. I must dig out the draped top pattern again - i'm inspired by all the new versions I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you made this up. I bought these patterns from Paco when I was in Barcelona in January - the season has come and I'm in the process of preparing a muslin as I would like to use some precious fabric.

    ReplyDelete