f

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are mothers!
Yesterday afternoon I started my favorite yeast roll recipe. They are actually called Refrigerator Rolls. The recipe came from a woman who was the wife of a rancher in northern Texas. They lived in a little town that was as far north as you could go and not be in Oklahoma. She would make the rolls on Saturday evening, put the dough in the refrigerator over night, get up the next morning and form the rolls and when she returned from church, they would be ready to throw into the oven. What a treat it was to be invited for Sunday lunch! So this is her recipe. I hope you enjoy it. By the way, it can be made into rolls or cinnamon rolls. I divided the dough and have done both for today.

Refrigerator Yeast Rolls 
2 packages of yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 cup of lukewarm water
Mix these ingredients together and set aside.
2/3 cup of melted butter
2 cups of scalded milk, cooled
2 eggs beaten
Mix these ingredients together and combine with the above ingredients.
3/4 cup of sugar
4 teaspoons of salt 7 to 8 cups of flour (I mix in 7 cups of flour and then knead the last cup into the bread after I have combined all ingredients)
Mix the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients.
Knead well adding more flour if necessary. Place dough into a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator over night.
When the dough comes out the next morning, it will have risen and will look like this.
It may be difficult to see, but this is a very large bowl.
What I like to do is divide the dough in half.
Roll out half of the dough for cinnamon rolls. The dough should be about 1/4" thick.
Once rolled out, spread a layer of butter on the dough.
Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over butter. If you like, you can also add raisins and or pecans at this point.
Roll the dough and pinch the ends together. Using a serrated knife, cut the dough into 1/2 rounds.
Grease a baking pan and lay out the rolls.
With the other half of the dough I made round balls and placed them in a greased muffin pan.
Cover with a lint free towel and allow to rise for two hours. Once risen, place in a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
This is a very large recipe so it makes up more than the amount that I have photographed. The left over dough and cinnamon roll dough I wrapped with plastic wrap and placed in the freezer for another time.
The finished rolls. Wish you were here to smell them. Yummmmm!
Have a wonderful day.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG. This is so similar to my family bread recipe. Also called refrigerator rolls, but I long ago renamed them. ;)

    The proportions of your recipe are a bit different than mine, and your recipe is missing the secret ingredient. I make these for the holidays as our dinner rolls. And I make them for Christmas morning as cinnamon rolls.

    To try them with the secret ingredient, add one cup of mashed potatoes. OMG. Mine uses 1 cup of scalded milk, cooled, 1/2 cup of butter, melted, and one egg, beaten. Maybe that adjusts for the potatoes. Also, it has 1/2 cup of sugar. But it's otherwise the same.

    I've also left it in the fridge for even longer than one night and it works. (I sometimes have to punch the dough down.)

    This is the best recipe EVER!!! Several of my friends always ask me to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never made cinnamon rols, but i'm gonna to try to do it. I love cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. I'll definely give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought back some memories! My grandma used to make rolls for all the family holiday meals with this recipe. Each roll consisted of 3 balls of dough that were placed in a muffin tin and brushed generously with butter before baking. She called them cloverleaf rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me hungry! I love to bake - unfortunately, with just me here, I rarely get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does one scald milk? My mom is bugging me to make the cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a mess!! I had no idea that you have a blog. I couldn't imagine who Lolita Death Squad Agent could be. I actually thought it was some type of scam, but no, it's you!! Just let the milk come to a boil and it will be scalded. Just make sure that you stir the milk as it starts to warm so that it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan. AS soon as it begins to boil, turn off the heat and then allow it to cool. You should know better than me how to type whatever you want to know into a search engine and get your answer, but I'm glad you asked as now I know your secret and I'm your 5th follower!!

      Delete
    2. Ah... So it's like making burned milk icecream, only...you don't burn the milk. I don't know why I thought it involved a double boiler.
      Oh no! You know my secret. ...I am a Nigerian Princess and I'm stranded in America. If you lone me $1000 so that I may return home, I will reward you handsomely.

      Delete
    3. You start writing, you little princess, and you won't need me to loan you anything!!!

      Delete