f

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sleeves On Saturdays

 The Square Shoulder Sleeve
I am going to need to apologize for the pictures of this sleeve. My summer pajama wardrobe is, well, none existent at this point, so I really need pajamas for the summer. I decided to work out my sleeves on my pajama tops, which would allow me to do the sleeve and get something that I need. The daisy pattern in this fabric doesn't really allow you to see just how great this sleeve really is. Hopefully you will look at the drafting and get a better idea.
If you look closely, you will see that there is a seam that is away from the shoulder seam. This seam gives the sleeve a very square look and allows the sleeve to hang very straight from the shoulder. This is a fantastic sleeve for jacket and even a dress.
Begin with your sleeve pattern. The sleeve can be drafted from any sleeve pattern. As you can see from my photos, I made this a short sleeve.
Measure from the center of the sleeve over toward the back 2 1/2" and mark. Measure over again from the center toward the front of the sleeve 2 1/4" and put another mark.
Now square a line up that corresponds with the measurements, 2 1/4" for the front of your sleeve and 2 1/2" for the back.
Square a line over 2 5/8". From this point, bring the line straight down and blend back into the armseye of the sleeve.
Add 1/4" seam allowance to the extensions.
The final pattern. Really easy. I know I always say that, but I guess that once you know how to do something it usually is easy. The pattern looks a little like a pair of overalls!!
To sew the top portion of the sleeve, bring the two extensions together and sew the 1/4" seam allowance. Then bring that seam line down to the sleeve and match that seam line to the center of the sleeve. Sew the joined extensions to the top of the sleeve with a 1/4" seam. Once this is done, sew the sleeve to the garment as you usually would. 
I think this picture shows the sleeve a bit better.

I hope you give it a try. Like I said, it's easy to do and looks great on a jacket, a dress, a t-shirt and even a pajama shirt.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. I can definitely see this sleeve on a jacket. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a beautiful sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god this is just what I've been looking for...thank you! Chanel uses this kind of sleeve a lot to accentuate the perfect lines of their sleek and simple designs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is just brilliant, it's brilliant to put this here! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! You have saved my life.. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if a post on how to draft a sleeve can saves one's life, I am so happy that I could help ;)

      Delete