f

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lend Me Your Shoulder, The Sleeveless Version

For those of you who have my new pattern, Lend Me Your Shoulder, I thought I would show you how easy it is to make it sleeveless.
One side sits nicely on the shoulder and the other side drapes over the collar bone and sits like a type of cap sleeve on the other side. Great for an easy summer top, or as you see, lengthen the pattern and turn it into a dress.
For my dress, I added a fusible knit interfacing just to the fold line at the neck. The fabric is very drapey so I wanted it to havea little more stability..   
I like to sew the longer side of the shoulder first and then serge the entire neckline. It isn't necessary, but it gives it a nice clean finish.
Then sew the other shoulder seam.
To bind the armholes, I cut a strip of the fabric 1 1/2" wide and long enough to go around the armhole opening. Remember, the seam allowances are only 1/4" as this pattern is intended to be sewn on the serger. Sew the binding around the armhole. 
This is the asymmetrical side of the shoulder.
The binding was turned over the 1/4" seam and then turned to the back. The stitching that you see is the inside of the garment. To give a clean finish, the binding was sewn down by sewing in the ditch.
In the picture below you can see the seam line of the binding. The stitching was done directing n that seam line.
A picture below of me in the dress. You can see how the neckline drapes and the one shoulder drapes over the top of my arm. I made the size small.
I have made this pattern many times of course, but it took me just about an hour and a half to cut it and make it up. In fact I met a friend for lunch today and I wore the dress. Check out the shoes!! They are actually red and white gingham with red patent leather toes. Yes, I have a lot of shoes, just in case you are wondering. I guess I should hold my head in shame, but I do love my shoes!!!
Today is the unofficial beginning of a holiday here in America, Memorial Day weekend. If you have a loved one who served in the military, take a moment to remember them this weekend.
If you would like, you can read a piece I wrote about my grandfather here. He served in World War I and is the man on the left in the above picture.
Have a wonderful weekend.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. I'm the lucky friend who saw the dress at lunch--it is just lovely, Rhonda--and the shoes are fun (I'm not ordinarily a shoe person, but I noticed these!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunch was great. Let's do it again before you leave for Denver!

      Delete
  2. Very elegant! The shoes - absolutely gorgeous!
    (Do you think that there might be some correlation between sewing one's own clothes and owning beautiful shoes?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I justify the shoes with the fact that I saved so much money on the clothes?? I don't know. All I know is that a great shoe just speaks to me, "Take me home, take me home!!"

      Delete
  3. I love the dress, the fabric and it seems comfortable, plus you feel so good.

    ReplyDelete