f

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Shhh!!! Can You Keep A Secret?

My husband's birthday is coming up soon(a little sooner than I would like at this point). Some years ago I found a wonderful shirt for his birthday, a Ralph Lauren shirt with skiers all over it. It was immediately his favorite shirt. And then as shirts will do, it began to wear out. I think the shirt had become a bit of a security blanket for him, he absolutely loved that shirt. So how do you tear away a man's favorite shirt? By trying to replace it. As I quickly found out, that was going to be a much harder task than I thought. I couldn't find anything that remotely resembled that shirt. Then one day I was in a fabric store, thank God for fabric stores, and I came across a piece of flannel fabric that had skiers all over it. SCORE!! I bought the fabric, came home and made a skirt. That was now five shirts ago.

Now, for any of you who are married, you know that as time goes by, it gets a little more difficult to find that special present. After that first ski shirt, my birthday present giving became very easy. All I have to do is make a shirt. Seems simple enough. Not really, finding ski related fabric that isn't juvenile can be quite the daunting task.  

This year I was really lucky, I found a piece on Ebay,

and then on a recent trip to Joann's, I found another.

He's going to be sooo happy. Now I have to get them made. I just finished cutting them out, so I'm on my way.
 My standard pattern, old as the hills. I've altered it a bit. He loves it.
My husband also loves a wool cap during the winter, and he loves one that has ear flaps. Last week, Tasia of Sewaholic had a guest that has a line of caps and also has patterns. Another score! Now I have something to do for Christmas. I can't wait to try out the cap pattern. If you're interested, you can find the pattern here.
I think he will love the cap.
Happy Sewing!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. How much fun is a ski shirt! You have some terrific fabrics there. I am making my husband a shirt with bicycles on it for Christmas. I could not find the right fabric (having used several bicycle themed fabrics before, and not wanting to repeat myself) so made up my own design on Spoonflower - I was really pleased with how the design turned out, but so far it is still flat fabric. I will have to get my act together and actually sew it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, what great gifts for C!

    ReplyDelete