f

Monday, August 13, 2018

Monday Morning Inspiration/When The Flood Gates Break!

Some of you may remember from earlier this summer that I put myself on a very restrictive fabric buying diet...no new fabric until after August 1st. Well, I did okay. But, I did buy the tea towels that I designed from my painting, and I also purchased the mirrored yardage. I am also cleaning up my studio. Those posts will resume soon. The doctor had asked that with this second eye surgery that I be particularly careful about not picking things up, and bending over. Tomorrow is freedom day, no more drops, and back to life as usual :)

Over the weekend, with my no fabric moratorium being over, I took a trip up to Gayfeather Fabrics in Madison, WI along with 5 other friends. We had a blast!!! 



I actually showed some restraint and picked out pieces that I knew I would make up quickly. I'll share more later, but this piece was especially fun...



Virginia had these wool panels that I thought were especially interesting. I decided to purchase 2. At just $5.00 per panel, a steal!


I wanted something fun to go with the panels. Found the piece above, went back and forth about it.


Then I flipped the fabric over to the so called "wrong side," and I loved it! I will be making the jacket below. The panels will be a skirt, just not exactly sure of how it will be executed.


If by chance you noticed the top I am wearing in the first picture, it was a gift, and what an amazing gift!!! Totally unexpected. I came home last Thursday and found a box waiting for me. Becky of Trial Balloons had sent an amazing treasure chest of fabrics. Included in the box was the top.

I had sent her the small piece that you see, on the bottom left of the top in the top left picture. It was a piece that a friend of mine had given me. It came from an antique kimono. Becky had the Kung Fu Bunny. What a hoot! Take note of the hand stitching she did around the edges. 
  

Love how the back was pieced, and if you look closely, on the back of the top, there are 3 small red stitches. Such a sweet touch.

Just a few of the other special pieces that were in the box...

The piece below did not photograph all that well, so much prettier in person. It's double sided. The pieces aren't large, but what a special accent they will be!


This piece is about 12" wide, but rather long, so another beautiful accent piece.


Her son had brought this back to her from China. She said that the colors were just not quite her, but thought I would enjoy it. I do! What I think I am going to do with the piece is actually use the back side for an unlined jacket. That way, when I take the jacket off, you'll see the amazing inside! 


I also want to share this sweet gift that my friend Sue gave me,


She didn't make the bag, but did the embroidery. It was the perfect accessory for our Gayfeather shopping trip. What I especially like about the bag is that it has snaps so the top can be closed up a bit. 

So yes, the flood gates broke ;) I can now buy fabric once again. But, my break gave me some space, a chance to really look at what I have, cherish what I have, and think first before I buy.  

Before I go, I want to share my shawl. This is the Honeycomb  Wrap from Purl Soho. I was seeing honeycombs in my sleep before it was over :/ But, it's done, I'm happy, and I can't wait to wear it! Now all I need is some cold weather ;) 


Just had to make a note about this picture...


Conehead Berkley is in the chair ;) He has been with us now for 3 weeks. As we were getting ready to go to bed last night, my husband said, "I can't believe it, you've created yet another monster." He was referring to the fact that Berkley is already so very attached to me, and wants to be with me all-the-time. Oh well :) 

Have a fabulous week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Lovely gifts from good friends. I like the pieces that you picked up at the fabric store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very lovely gifts 😊
      I have a couple other pieces that I purchased. I’ll share them soon. Virginia, the owner of Gayfeather has the best eye.

      Delete
  2. Whew! I'm so glad the T fits...and the colors are definitely you! I love the idea of reversing the floral satin...can't wait to see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊 Yes, it fits!!! Love it, and received so many compliments. Actually, you received so many compliments. I’m excited about getting the floral satin started. I think it’s going to make 1uncredible garment!

      Delete

  3. Great, cute and meaningful gifts. Lovely

    https://weekendsale.club/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun trip,to Gayfeather, our local fabric store. Virginia has the best remnants! Hi Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A trip to Gayfeather is always a treat! 😊 The true gem of Madison. While we were there, Virginia opened a drawer behind the counter. I said, “hold on to your wallets, she’s pulling out the big guns!” And she really did, a treasure trove a French lace. Incredible pieces.

      Delete
  5. If that's the definition of a monster, let us all be blessed with many monsters! I currently have two such, and my husband calls them my entourage. If I make a move, they are up and ready to follow. If I sit, they sit (usually on me).

    Fabric shopping is more fun after a long fast, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is that it makes it difficult to travel and leave them with someone. But, I so love having them with me, as I'm sure you do as well :) And yes, may we have many "monsters!" ;)

      Delete
  6. Ooh that scarf looks lovely. I can see why it took ages to make though and why you would be very glad of it being finished.

    ReplyDelete