f

Monday, August 27, 2018

Monday Morning Inspiration/The Selvedge Edge/I Need Your Help!!!

Last week, I received a note from Ruth. She said that she hates to waste fabric, especially the selvedge edge as sometimes it's more interesting than the actual fabric. So true. She asked if I could do a post on creative uses. I know that I have seen some of you use the selvedge edge to create trim for a Chanel inspired jacket. But, what more have you done or seen? I have looked, and looked, and looked. All that I was able to come up with were projects using the selvedge edge of quilting fabrics. While a lovely idea, we all know that there's so much more out there. So, if you have a link that you don't mind sharing, either leave a comment on this post, or email me at sewbussted@yahoo.com. I would love to give recognition to anyone who has, or is doing something fun and interesting with selvedge edges. 

One piece that I did was the flower below. The selvedge edge of the fabric was so pretty, so I just gathered it up and made a pin.


The pieces featured below are all made using selvedges from quilting cottons.

This dress is from Ric-Rac Sews. Talk about a labor of love!


This sweet little skirt is from Flourishing Palms, and she called it the Name Dropper Skirt. Cute!


I couldn't find the person who made this skirt, but I love the play on stripes. 


I love making journal covers and I thought this one from Write It Down was especially sweet. 


In my searching, I managed to learn something new, at least to me. There is a denim that is called selvedge edge denim. The picture is below. It comes with this lovely and colorful edge finish. I need to find some of this!!! 


I hope that someone can help me, and Ruth out. I would LOVE to see some wonderful things that have been done with the selvedge edge of wools, linens, etc. 

Thanks so much, and have a wonderful week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

12 comments:

  1. I can't help you find that denim ( and when you do please share!), but as a weaver I am always in awe of the beautiful perfect selvedges found on denims and wools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often use the selvedge as hem when sewing with wax. I love it.
    I can't help with selvedge denim, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no selvedge projects to share, but i did find the denim!
    http://www.pacificbluedenims.com/products/selvedge-selvage/0724-89.html. They have a $25 cutting fee (I think) for small quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rhonda, you're very kind in pursuing this.
    I've sewn selvedge on to the hems of garments instead of turning a hem - works really well with knitted fabrics. I bought selvedge edge denim one time from India. It's very narrow, maybe only 36" wide so you need loads to make a pair of jeans. Merchant and Mills sells selvedge edge denim from Japan. https://merchantandmills.com/store/cloth/japanese-selvedge-denim/

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a recent post, Tany of Couture et Tricot used her linen selvedge to trim a belt buckle and made belt loops. If not the last post, then the previous post.
    Amazing what those others have created with the selvedge edges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda, I was wondering if you are familiar with Shams, from "Communing With Fabric"? http://communingwithfabric.blogspot.com/ She has used selvedge edges to trim garments on a number of occasions and might be willing to have her images or blog posts shared here, you could certainly ask... I find her work to be very inspiring! If you do a search on her blog for "selvedge" you will find some gems

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pendleton Woolens in Oregon saves the selvedge from their woolens, and teaches a class (I've taken it at SewExpo in Puyallup) on using the selvedges to create a crocheted rug. The wild and wooly selvedges are knotted together end to end to create a huge ball, and the "crochet' is simply done round and around with fingers. It makes a fuzzy rustic rug that can be tossed in the washing machine. No real precision, just go round and round until it's big enough, or you run out of material, or you're tired of doing it. Dogs love the rug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rhonda,

    I always save and ball up my selvedges. I use them mostly to adorn wrapped gifts and attach gift tags, as a cord to make buntings, and even to identify my luggage with a colorful selvedge tie.

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda,

    I forgot that I’ve made washer weights with selvedges, too. You wrap two heavy washers with ribbon or selvedges. I like to put the fluffy selvedge edges on the outside of these. These make cute gifts for sewists and crafters.

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've used it as a stay on the edge of slanted pockets. No pics unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete