f

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Sunday's Supper/Zucchini Pie

I just love when all the fresh vegetables begin to make their way into the market. When I was growing up, we ate squash, but it was always yellow squash. I had never heard of zucchini squash until we moved to Chicago. But, it was love at first bite. There are so many dishes that can be made, everything from zucchini bread, to pasta dishes. 

I especially love Zucchini Pie, or some would say quiche. My recipe is super simple, and minus the crust!   


I begin by cutting up 3 medium size zucchini.


A little spice is always a good thing in my book, and I especially like this cheese from Boar's Head. It is a bit spicy, so if you would prefer, a colby/jack blend without the peppers will work just fine. 


The zucchini is sauteed in a little olive oil with garlic until tender. Salt, black pepper, oregano, along with the cubed cheese is added to the sauteed zucchini, and placed in a greased pie dish.


Three beaten eggs are then poured over the zucchini cheese mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, or until eggs are set.


Allow the pie to cool slightly, about 10 minutes before cutting. Slice, serve, and devour!


This pie is great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If serving for breakfast, add a fruit salad on the side. For lunch or dinner, a nice green salad, or a cup of soup will be perfect. 

Here's the recipe...

Zucchini Pie

ingredients;
3 medium zucchini sliced into small pieces. 
2 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1 cup colby/jack 
3 eggs beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil

directions;
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Saute zucchini and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 15 minutes. Combine zucchini with cubed cheese, salt, pepper, dried oregano and pour in greased pie dish. Pour beaten eggs over zucchini mixture. Stir slightly to distribute eggs evening through zucchini.
Place in preheated oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until eggs are set and pie is browned.

Allow pie to cool slightly before slicing, about 10 minutes. 

Hope you enjoy your zucchini pie as much as I enjoyed mine!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. YUM. Sounds wonderful....I MUST try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soooo easy to do. Great for a light supper.

      Delete
  2. Love this! I've been making a zucchini crustless quiche for years, as a way to deal with the surplus zucchini when the garden goes into overdrive. But my recipe calls for shredded zucchini and cheese rather than the diced pieces, and I think your version would have a different texture and be a nice alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a little meatier with the slices. I think you’ll like it 😊

      Delete
  3. Having seen this on IG I had to pop over and collect the recipe. Thank you for sharing.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s one of those recipes that’s great year round, and especially in warmer months when you don’t want a heavy meal. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Love the crustless aspect as I have plans to make a peach pie and two dishes with crusts at the same meal would be ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lighter zucchini pie will save lots of room for the peach pie 😊

      Delete
  5. Rhonda, I made this tonight using sweet onions cut into chunks instead of zucchini. Our zucchini, from the garden, is gone but I have a huge bag of NC sweet onions. It was so good! The whole family loved it. I'll be making this again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful recipe. I have made it twice now. It makes two meals each for my husband and myself. Ginger’s suggestion for using onions instead of zucchini sounds great. I think I will try that next time I make it, which will be soon. Thanks so much Rhonda for your generosity in sharing this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete