f

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Month of Woven Tees/Week 4

What a lovely month it has been, except for the incredibly hot temperatures we have had in Chicago! As a child, I lived without air conditioning. For the past few weeks, every night as I crawl into bed, one of the last things I say is, "thank you Lord for air conditioning!" Complaining aside, I have so enjoyed the push that Becky of Trial Balloons gave me. Had it not been for her, I would not have ended up with all the new pieces in my wardrobe. 

THANK YOU BECKY!!! 

Now, this is just the best!!! You may remember the piece I painted and then had made into fabric. Well, I sent a piece to Becky and look at the AMAZING top she made!


Oh my, I am beyond flattered. The panel that I sent to her was unfinished, which I felt a bit bad about, as I thought she might just turn the edges and use it in a bread basket. What she did with it is a masterpiece. Be sure to pop over to her blog and see the back, as well as all the other lovely pieces that she made...and the poor woman has had pneumonia!  You can see all her work HERE.  

When Becky asked if I would like to participate in a month of woven tees, she said that she would put a Pinterest page together for us. The top below is one that she found and pinned to the page. I thought it was rather nice, so I used it as my inspiration for my tee, which is really a dress. To be honest, I wear more dresses than anything else in the summer, so a new, pop over the head dress is always up my alley. 


Once again, I used the free raglan tee pattern from fabric-store.com You can find the pattern HERE

Rather than dividing the sleeve, I decided to just start my design line from the underarm intersection. 


I did do a funnel neckline, which I really like. Super easy to do BTW.


If you look closely, you can see that I tapered the side seams just a bit, but not so much so that I can't get the dress over my head. I also added a pocket.


I think you can see the lines of the pocket better in the picture below. The seam line begins at the style line of the bodice and comes down to the pocket, but not all the way to the hem of the dress.


It makes the pocket area a little trickier to sew, but not that much. The reason that I did not want the seam down to the hemline was because of the shirttail hem that I wanted to do. Having the seam line to the hem wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but I just didn't want the extra bulk in the hem.


To balance the dress, I used the white for the bias binding along the hem. It should give the eye of anyone who bothers to look, something to notice


If by chance you would like a tutorial on how to make the funnel neckline, or how to draft the pocket, just let me know. They are both fun to do, and you can see that they can easily be added to a basic pattern such as this.

I do have a fun tea inspired recipe to share with you, but it is going to have to wait a few days as it has just been much to hot to bake. I hold my head in shame, especially when Becky has had pneumonia, and managed to get sooooo much accomplished :( 

I hope you have enjoyed the month of woven tees, and I hope that it has inspired you to maybe venture out and do something a little different :)



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress. I would be interested in both tutorials. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please may I have the information for the funnel neck and the pocket? I'd like to copy your whole design except in color. I can't wear that much white bear my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rhonda, I'm sure interested about knowing more of the funnel neckline, it's so classy but also comfortable, isn't it? Thank you in advance, if you make a tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely dress Rhonda!!!! FIESTA :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, I would love to see how you created the funnel neckline. Always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this dress Rhonda! I too would love both tutorials. Hope things cool off for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! Please do the tutorials. The funnel neck is so flattering and the pocket is such a fun detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to see a funnel neck tutorial. And would also love to see the dress modeled on you! It's just not the same on a manekin :)

    ReplyDelete