f

Sunday, April 5, 2015

For Healthy Spring Eating, Try Spring Rolls!

Happy Easter!!!
I've been missing in action the last few days, just some personal issues to deal with, but all is good :) 
As I said earlier this week, Easter is really my favorite holiday. There are the religious aspects of the day, that I have always enjoyed, but I also enjoy the frivolities that surround the day, new dresses, the Easter Bunny, coloring eggs , the feeling that spring is truly in the air. When I think of spring, I want to eat fresh crisp vegetables. I came across the picture below. This just screams fresh eating to me. Doesn't it look wonderful?!!! Well, it is!!!
The recipe comes from The Minimalist Baker, a blog written by a husband and wife team. Their recipes are simple, delicious and take 30 minutes or less to prepare. The recipe is for Banh Mi Spring Rolls and you can find it HERE. The recipe is fresh, easy and delicious.

You will need to purchase Spring Roll Wrappers to create the rolls. Out of the package, they are crisp, so you will need to soak them in boiling water for about 20 seconds. I like to pour a little boiling water in a round cake pan. Slide one wrapper in. Grab it in the 10 and 2 position to remove it from the pan. Be careful as they will tear easily. Place on a flat surface, follow the instructions from the above recipe for filling and you're ready to go.
I followed the recipe for the most part. I grated carrots, radishes and I julienned a jalapeno. Once I was ready to make the spring rolls, I combined the vegetables with fresh basil and mint leaves. I did not chop the mint or basil, but used the whole leaf. Oh my goodness, it was SO good!!!
 I served the rolls with fresh lime wedges,
and a wonderful peanut sauce recipe that I also found on the Minimalist Baker site. You can find the recipe HERE. I highly recommend the peanut sauce! If you are allergic to nuts, then use the rice vinegar sauce that you pickle the vegetables with as it is also quite good.
This recipe makes for a wonderful Saturday or Sunday night dinner. The leftovers can be eaten for lunch the next day. It would also be a lot of fun to invite friends over and make the rolls as a group, each person can add whatever they like and make their own custom rolls. If you enjoy a glass of wine, try serving Prosecco as it would compliment the rolls beautifully.
Be sure to check out the Minimalist Baker site. I want to try almost everything I've seen!!!!
Have a wonderful day!!!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. We had an Easter picnic yesterday and my niece made rice paper rolls with slow cooked lamb, and rice noodles. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did these beautifully! I have never made spring rolls, and thanks to you I am inspired so to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few might not turn out so well, the wrappers can be a little fiddly. But just stick with it and like anything, you'll get a feel for it. I can't wait to make another batch!

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter to you too Rhonda! Those spring rolls look really good! Thanks for sharing! I enjoy your healthy recipe posts! I've been on an elimination diet for over 4 months and love the Minimalist Baker's site for her vegan recipes. In fact, my 11 year old DD loves her recipes so much that she baked a vegan cake for my birthday last month.
    Blog: www.sewuthinkucan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rice paper rolls are a favourite of mine - we eat them all year round in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete