f

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Stel-la!!!

I just couldn't resist the subtle reference to Marlon Brando yelling for Stella in the movie, a Street Car Named Desire :) This Stella has a much brighter, and happier story, the Stella Weekender Bag from Swoon Patterns. The bag I made for the magazine will soon have a new home. My niece was over this past weekend, loved the bag, so of course nothing will make me happier than to send it home with her. She loves anything vintage, and since this bag is made out of barkcloth, it has a bit of a vintage vibe. 


The next post is up on the Sew News blog, and you can find it HERE. Bunny of La Sewista has been working on a Stella bag that she is giving as a diaper bag to a new mom. Here's a glimpse of her lovely work,


Look closely at the stitching she did on the handle. I really like the added reinforcement that she did. 

When Bunny told me that she was working on the bag, I asked her if she would share some of her thoughts. You know, two heads are always better than one ;) One point that she brought up is that while the Stella bag is perfect for the addition of piping, no instructions are given in the pattern. So in this week's post, I tried to walk you step by step through the process of how to make piping and how to add it to the bag, as well as how much piping you will need.  

Bunny also found a wonderful group on Facebook called, Swoon Patterns Group. It's a closed group, but all you have to do is ask to join and you'll be accepted. There's a lot of great info on the page about all the wonderful bag patterns from Swoon. In fact, the devotees call themselves "Swooners." What fun! 
I added a little info on a cutting aide that Bunny shared and you can find directions on how to find it on the post I did for Sew News.

I'm excited about my new bag. I had just enough fabric. This one is going to be really bright and fun.


 If you've never made piping, I encourage you to give it a try. It's fun to make, and it really adds such a nice touch to bags and clothing alike.

If you are making a bag, let me know and send a picture, I would love to see and post your work!

Happy Sewing!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, (can't believe I used that word) I really love this bright bag and can't wait to see it. I am glad you added the piping info as it really adds a bit of pizazz. Loved the Stella reference, great movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thanks to you :)
      After I did the Stella reference, I thought, "hmmm, many may not even know who Marlon Brando was!!!"

      Delete