f

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Life and The Wednesday Showcase

It has been a difficult summer. At one point, I sat down to dinner and told my husband that I feel like Job, you know, the guy in the Bible who lost is family, all of his money, ended up covered in boils, and whose wife told him that he should just curse God and die. So much for a supportive wife!!! Well, life has not been that bad, thankfully! But, below are just a few of the issues I've had to deal with this summer.

There have been family issues, which are always heartbreaking. We had a major gas leak to deal with. The good news about that is that we didn't end up on the national news, or worse, dead. But it was a major project to get it fixed. We had an electrical fire. Our contractor was amazed that the entire house did not burn down. It happened while we were away, so had it been worse, we would have lost the dogs as well as the house. 
There was the accident with the airplane when a tire blew out as I was landing. While far from a major accident, it was frustrating at best. Because the plane was disabled on the runway, the airport was shut down for 3 hours while they moved the plane off of the runway. Boeing is based at my airport and of course this was the moment that they wanted to get one of their jets out. And as fate would have it, 2 other private jets were ready to go, so no one was happy with me. As for the blow out, it wasn't my fault, it happens. And the good news is that I handled it beautifully, and no one was hurt...or dead. 


The plane was due for its annual inspection. So since it was disabled, I had to arrange for the mechanic to come to me. Getting this arranged was not an easy task. In order to move the process along a little faster, I helped with the maintenance. Of course this always comes at a time that really isn't convenient. But it was accomplished, and.... 
  

I have been back in the air, and doing aerial tours. This picture was taken by a couple whom I took up for a ride back in June. I had no idea the picture was taken. They said they couldn't believe my concentration.


I hurt my back. When I went to the doctor, I was asked if I had ever had damage to my hips, or had been in an accident. Nothing that I could remember. Then I went home and began to think about it. I remembered that after having all the injections in my hips for fertility treatments, my hip muscles burned when I would go for my morning walks, and that it lasted for about 3 years. My morning walks are not a stroll. Many have told me that my walk is more like a run, so I'm really moving. When I went back to the doctor, I told them about what I remembered, and they now feel that I have deep tissue damage that surfaced due to all the heavy gardening I did this summer, 

as well as the extra work I was doing to prepare for the marathon in October. 


I am now going to rehab twice a week. The marathon is off for this year. The good news is that since I won the lottery, I can move my position to next year. The doctor feels that there are muscles that can be strengthened around the damaged area and that the pain will go away and I should have no problem doing the marathon...next year. I'm disappointed, but this is hardly the end of the world. 

As I've shared with you, Little Bit was diagnosed with cancer. She's old, almost 16 years old, so of course things go wrong at this point, but it's heartbreaking nonetheless. We had two bad nights a few weeks ago, but she has rebounded, at least for now. 

I began doing the Wednesday Showcase posts probably about a year after I started blogging on a regular basis. I was so very grateful (still am!) to have anyone read my posts and I wanted to give a little something back, so each week, I would showcase 2 bloggers. Some you knew well, others were new to blogging. Over the years, I have met some of the most amazing people, and I've even had the opportunity to meet a few in person. I've been doing the Wednesday Showcase posts for about 5 years, and during that time, everyone who has contacted me has been very happy to have me showcase their blog. That was not the case recently. The post was as all my showcase posts have been. I linked to the blog, showed pictures of their beautiful work, and encouraged readers to check out the blog. I heard from the blogger who was quite angry, and went on to tell me all that I had done wrong. I was shocked to say the least, and quite honestly, very hurt as well. I apologized and said that it was only meant to try and promote their blog and say thank you for following my blog. To add insult to injury, this happened on the same day that Little Bit was diagnosed with cancer. 

So many of you have told me how much you like the Wednesday Showcase posts as you enjoy learning about new to you bloggers. After the recent incident, I have decided to end the posts. Of course, one should not spoil it for everyone, but as I thought about it, I decided that maybe it's time for something new. I have been working on a new project that will begin in October. It won't happen on a weekly basis like the Wednesday Showcase posts did, at least, not for now. But I think it will be fun, and it will give me the opportunity to introduce you to some of the fabulous people and the things that they are doing in the sewing world. This is kind of a situation of where when life gives you lemons, find a way to make lemonade. 

So, to all of you who stop by, thank you. And a big thank you to all of you who do blog. There was a time when I thought I would see the end of sewing as a creative art. But thanks so all of you who blog and sew, and even those of you who don't blog, but still sew, this extremely special art has not died. 

Happy Wednesday :)
Rhonda    



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

54 comments:

  1. Rhonda! I'm sorry to hear that you received negative feedback from a recently featured blogger. As one who is really grateful to have received not just the exposure, but primarily the appreciation of fellow sewing enthusiasts...well, it's a little puzzling to understand another's perspective. I think I can safely say that the majority of showcased bloggers are flattered and pleased as punch! {{HUGS}}

    Your summer has indeed been taxing to say the least. You've had more than your share of 'events' and I hope things settle down to a comfortable level this autumn! That being said, this post was particularly 'newsy' and helped us to get to know you better. The candid shots are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than being rather hurt, I too was puzzled. But, we can judge another as we have no idea what they may be going through.

      Delete
  2. All the best Rhonda, you have had a rough summer. Your attitude is great, keep it up. I enjoy all your posts, and my best wishes for Little Bit. We lost our dog last January, he had just turned 15 and there is a big hole left in his absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Julie. I must be one of the craziest people alive as I even cry when I hear that someone has lost their pet. I'm so sorry.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you managed to live through your summer! Here is to a smooth and fun autumn! I love your posts. They are always so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I actually have a trip to Houston/Galveston planned for November. Can't wait!!!

      Delete
  4. You've had a lot to handle. But you're hanging in there and it'll all pass.

    But you were very lucky with that gas leak! We had a big explosion about a mile from our house earlier this year (you might have seen it on the national news) that shook my house so much that my first thought was that image of the airplane engine falling on top of the house in Donny Darko and I ran upstairs to make sure my daughter was ok. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/greenwood-explosion-destroys-buildings-injures-9-firefighters/ Luckily no one was seriously hurt -- just a few scrapes and bruises to the firefighters who were already there investigating a report of a gas leak. That big pile of rubble used to be two buildings, and a lot of the surrounding area took a lot of damage. Three business are just gone from our lovely little neighborhood. The site is all cleared out now and the surrounding business repaired and re-opened, but as far as I can tell no new buildings have started to go up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! So happy that you and your family are ok. In our situation, we had an inspection done in February and everything was fine. So who knows what happened, but at least it was all fixable.

      Delete
  5. I received my light set! Thank you again. I want to put them on the machine at the ranch so will be a couple of weeks before I'm back out there. Having cataract surgery Monday. Take care of yourself
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love it! Just be careful of the bright light after your surgery.

      Delete
  6. Yup, tough, but keep going and we will keep listening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are always so respectful and encouraging, I can't imagine what that blogger was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your positive attitude through all this. And I *cannot* believe someone did not appreciate being featured here. Incredible. Can't wait to read what you're up to though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry you have had a tough summer, sadly rotten things tend to come in clusters - But good things can too.
    I don't blog but I do sew, I trained many, many years ago as a Naval Tailor and was lucky enough to work on Naval Dress Uniforms for Prince Philip and Prince Charles. I also got to meet them both and they were extremely kind about my stitching. Reading your blogs reminds me of those distant days as I sew for myself and little girls in 3rd world countries who don't have new dresses, or sometimes old one's either.
    I hope in time the blogger in question feels able to apologise for their reaction, if not remember it was only one of many who thank you.
    I'm having a blood clot removed from my brain tomorrow to end my own difficult summer.
    Here's to a better Autumn for us both :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. I light a candle every morning as a sign of the prayers that I say for others. You will be remembered tomorrow.

      Delete
  10. What an intense summer! I'm glad that fall is coming and you can turn a new page. Thanks for all you do for the sewing community. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, please don't, Rhonda. Please don't let one sour grape
    spoil the entire bunch. Your kind efforts have opened up
    a whole new sewBlogging world to me and I'm sure for dozens
    of others. You'd think someone would be flattered to be
    featured..and after, all it IS a public blog, right? Crazy.

    Simple solution: contact the blogger first, tell them your
    interest in spreading worthy sewing blogs, and ask their
    permission. Wouldn't take long to construct a simple request
    note to them (that's saved in Word, etc) and just send off.

    Really hope you'll consider this. God bless you with the
    strength you need to encounter whatever challenges .. you've
    already proven you're made of pretty stern stuff ..in fact,
    I'd say steel .. to have traversed this year and many previous
    challenges. We are always being tested. As they say: if He
    brought you to it, He'll lead you through it.

    Take good care of you .. don't let this negative ninny creep
    into your soul and dim your enthusiasm and sunny outlook.

    ~Joy~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many thanks :-) Scared but this too shall pass :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are scared. Once you are feeling better, please send a note to let me know how you are doing, sewbussted@yahoo.com

      Delete
  13. Hi Rhonda! As one who was generously featured on your Wednesday Showcase, I cannot imagine what that blogger was thinking to be angry about that. It is such a privilege to be featured on another person's blog, and it helps build the sewing community we all love and cherish. Kudos to you for giving back so much over all those years. I do hope you'll reconsider. That being said, i can't wait to see what you'll be doing next! Thanks for sharing all of your challenges this summer, and how you've managed to turn lemons into lemonades. You are such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Ronda how inspiring you are to me. Your sewing is perfection and I am in awe of all that you do so well. I enjoy reading your blogs and always check out the ones you suggest and enjoy reading those also. I think the bloggers should be flattered that you think they are so interesting that your readers will want to get to know them. I can tell you are a strong, spiritual person and this a just a chapter in your book of life. I wish you well and will keep you in my thoughts as you go through this sad time with Little Bit. Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhonda,
    THANK YOU for all the writing you do and I have enjoyed learning about the bloggers you have featured. I usually go to their sites and have sometimes added them to places to visit.

    It has been a difficult summer and I hope that Fall will bring better happenings to you and your family. And Little Bit will be a treasured memory for all times, not only to you, but to us as you have shared her story.

    Very best and please keep on blogging,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  16. le deseo una pronta mejoria y exito en su recuperacion, gracias

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rhonda, you are the most lemonadey person I know :) Your positive outlook and cheerful optimism in all that you write, even while you're having a summer like this one, is very uplifting. I appreciate your blog and all the work and care you put into your place in the sewing community.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I appreciate your medical situation. I injured my right rotator cuff last fall, and it's not entirely better yet. Getting dressed is difficult. Working out is restricted. A lot of house projects have been set aside for too long.

    Rehab is your friend. I've been doing physical therapy for years and learned to love it. Self care is critical, so is learning how to rest. Be patient with yourself and give you space and time to heal. Pushing through doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The trials of Job, indeed! I hope the cooler weather cools down whatever planets are not quite lining up in your universe. You are a true inspiration.

    As a blogger that you so kindly featured on Wednesday's showcase, I am a bit flabbergasted over this recent blogger's reaction. No one owns the internet. When you put yourself out there, whether on a blog or other social media, you better be ready to take the licks. But in this situation, who can't handle a bit of kindness and support? It boggles the mind. All I can say is that whoever she is, she owns her reaction and that saddens me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunny, you expressed what I'm thinking better than I could have! Thanks!

      Delete
  20. Wow Rhonda. You have had a lot on your plate. I'm sorry about the rude person. You are so generous and did not deserve to be treated rudely. Hugs and prayers for your hips and Little Bit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will miss your showcase of blogs every week, as they put me in touch with blogs that perhaps I would not have otherwise come across. But you do whatever you feel you need to do - just please don't stop blogging! Your posts inspire.
    Hope that your "bout" of problems are now over and you have easy going for a good long time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

    That's best, Rhonda, to move on. We're all excited, everyone of us, to be inspired and to learn.

    Keep calm and sew on,
    ~Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  23. Darling Rhonda,

    Gosh, what an interesting time you have been having. In your inimitable style to turn negative to positive in a flash!
    Like many others, I am rather bemused by the bloggers reaction, as I so enjoyed you showcasing others. Now we have something new to look forward to in its place and I thank you for your wonderful blog and your kind inspiration.

    On a personal level, my sewing friends such as you and La Sewista, Ann Vidovic (Did you really sew that?) are a true lifeline for me, when we hardly see a soul from one week to the next. I thank you and all the other lovely ladies that I follow and who share so readily, not only sewing but life experiences.

    Keep on making that beautiful lemonade Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A quote I've heard and use often (and, sorry, I don't know who to attribute it to) is: "I know God won't give me more than I can handle, but I wish he didn't trust me so much." And, by the way, that gardening photo--I think I have that same outfit! ;) You are an inspiration to me with all you do and all your kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sorry it's been such a difficult summer for you ! I love reading your blog & im so sorry someone was so incredibly rude to you about Wenesday Showcase . I loved being featured a year ago . I think we should all remember that words can hurt us . As my mother used to say - there is always a nice way to say something. If someone took offense they could have contacted you in a polite,positive way .
    Please keep up your amazing blog with so much helpful,wonderful information !

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sorry to hear about the negative post. Your blog is so inspiring and encouraging for those of us who want to sew with care. You are an inspiration to many and I know for me you have given me the courage to try many details because after you explain them, they seem lest intimidating. You are a wonderful teacher.
    God Bless you
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Rhonda, I think Job should read your post and thank his lucky stars. I'm one of the bloggers you featured some years ago and I am still humbled, surprised and more than grateful first that you would read about my little corner of the sewing world and then that you would mention me in a post. So I know there are so many of us out there who feel the same yet I also understand how one crabby person can jerk my chain, especially when I'm just trying to hold it together when everything else is going on. I'm glad that Little Bit has been having good times with you. Mr. Lucky and I got married later in life and don't have kids and while I certainly know that each dog is a dog, I also know that unconditional love is an uncommon experience for most of us and that's what our pets can give us. Wishing you better days and hugs from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are a dear, sweet person, Rhonda. There are, unfortunately, some very mentally ill people In The world. Sorry one peed on your leg. Totally uncalled for. Carry on being beautiful you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have been in the wars! Thank you for sharing the bad with the good. Hopefully it will all be looking up from here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Rhonda, I'm sorry that things have been piling up on you of late! But I am glad that you are moving onward and upward. That's the only way, sometimes! I hope you fully recover soon and I look forward to seeing what your next project will be!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rhonda,
    I'm so very sorry to hear of all of your troubles. I hope things turn the corner for you, and also that you can treasure more time with Little Bit. I know what it's like to lose a beloved pet, and also to see them decline.
    Thank you for all that you do to keep us sewers informed and inspired. I'm sorry to see the Wednesday Showcase end, but I understand your reasoning. I'm surprised at the reaction as well.
    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so sorry to hear that. And it truly is a shame that one person who was ungrateful for you appreciating their hard work - because writing a blog consistently is work - has stopped you from showcasing something that highlighted the sewing community. For that I'm sorry and sorry for the way they treated you. I know that I truly appreciate everything you do, even though I don't always leave a comment. Just know that there are those of us who do appreciate you and appreciate that you've recognized our efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These things are sent to try us and you are one who can cope and rise above them.
    I trust life will deal you some flowers from now on, not weeds.

    I love your gardening outfit - you could start a trend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Catching up on reading blogs...so sorry to hear of the "downs" of life you are experiencing lately. It does seem that sometimes things pile on and you want to cry "enough"! Wish I could give you a hug in person, but a virtual one will have to do. You are such a giving, beautiful person in so many ways. I came across your blog during one of your most giving times - the pillow case project, and I'm so glad I did because I've continued to be amazed by how much you give of your time and talent! Don't let one bad apple spoil things. Know that you are loved and admired by many!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rhonda thank you so you much for your thoughts and prayers. My operation was a success and the clot was removed. I will need to be careful and be monitored for the future but that's a small price to pay.
    Hope your week was good and stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know. I was going to wait another week and then see about trying to contact you. So very happy that all went so well. You have to be relieved. Here's to a quick recovery and a wonderful fall and winter.

      Delete
  36. Sounds like you had quite adventurous summer, I hope fall will be less "exciting". And I am so sorry to hear about Wednesday Showcase ending, never in a million years would I have thought this is how it'l come to an end. I really enjoyed the series and I'm shocked to hear someone didn't like the extra attention. I, for one, am very grateful and lucky to have been featured in the series and nothing but good things have come out of it. So thank you for that. But as they say, All good things must come to an end. Can't wait to see the new things you'll introduce to the blog.

    Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am one of those frustrating followers who reads and doesn't often comment. I admire your sewing, your fitness routines, your flying...so many wonderful qualities which shine through on your blog and elsewhere. Hope you have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I always love reading what you have to say Rhonda! Thanks for letting us all into your life. xo

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your blog and I really love your attitude, Rhonda! Maybe that person had a trying day or maybe they're just a negative person – I really hate to see your Wednesday showcase end. Just know there is a person out in the middle of nowhere who reads your every post but especially likes your Sunday night reflection .i've sold for 50 some years and still love to learn about new things. Really enjoyed your blog and really enjoyed the person I believe you to be. Peace… Teresa

    ReplyDelete