f

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Bags That Make Travel a Breeze

Over the weekend of September 30th, and October 1st, I will be in Peoria, IL doing a 2 day seminar. The first day will be an entire day of sewing. Fun!
I was asked to do a bag where the participants would insert zippers as many are just not that comfortable with inserting zippers,after all, zippers can be a little intimidating. The large bag will be our primary project.   


The bag is fairly basic, but very user friendly. I have always wanted a truly coordinated traveling set, and now I have one! 


To give a little more stability to the bag, there is a facing along the top. Hanging free from the facing is a large interior pocket with a zipper.


On the front of the bag is a slide pocket, no zipper, that will easily hold your I-Pad.


And here's my favorite feature...
The back of the bag has a zippered pocket that will slide over the handle of a rolling suitcase. So no more killing your shoulder trying to carry the bag.


As I said, the pocket has a zipper, so easy access to your boarding ticket and identification.


To coordinate with the larger bag, I made a toiletry bag and what I call a lipstick bag. The small bag is really meant for anything small that might get lost in a larger bag.


The toiletry bag features an outside zipper, great for combs, cotton pads, etc.


Both bags have a wide bottom.


The challenge with each of these bags is inserting the zipper where there is a piped edge. It's really quite easy to do.


If you live in the United States, I purchased everything for my bags at Joann Fabrics, even the fabric. They have some super fun prints in the Home Dec section.

I will be giving you the pattern dimensions, and a how to in an upcoming Fabulous Free Pattern Friday post. The pattern for the small bags will soon be available for purchase.

The Friday class for the Peoria ASG Sew Special '16 is full, but if you are anywhere near Peoria, and have a little time on October 1st, pop on over. You can read all about the day and sign up HERE



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. These are wonderful, Rhonda, and so very practical. You thought of everything. That fabric is wonderful. I'll have to go hunt it down at our local JA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny :) They have another Parisian print that is just delightful.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just so excited about having a matching set!!!

      Delete
  3. Awesomesauce to actually coordinate. I'm making a set of travel purses for dd. I need to make a set for me as I love to travel but am very uncoordinated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice bags! The fabric is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful set, Rhonda! So looking forward to the patterns! You did think of everything. I especially love how the bag can slide over the suitcase handle. I will be making a set for myself and one for Lauren as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrea!!! So nice to hear from you. Hope all is well and that Lauren is loving school.

      Delete
  6. What cute and very useful bags. Looks like a fun time in IL, and the class is what I need. Sounds like the class I need to get me over the hump to give me confidence to make a bag. Safe travels my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not even a bag sewing person but the design and the fabric, oooh la la. Thanks for sharing your inspiration and expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely bags, and so practical too. I will be looking out for the instructions as The Management has just booked another trip!
    Enjoy your weekend in Peoria :)

    ReplyDelete