f

Thursday, September 8, 2016

My New Happy Pants!

Well, they aren't really pants, they're jeans, and I cannot wait until I can once again slide into them.

The new issue of Sew News just came out, so since it is officially on the newsstand, I can finally show you the jeans I made using the Closet Case Files Ginger Jean pattern.  I simply LOVE this pattern. I did not do a muslin, I just made them up, slid into them, and all I had to do was take them in just a bit at center back, which I usually have to do with every pair of pants that I make. All in all, a perfect fit!

I went crazy with all the stitching. The center back seam, as well as the yoke seam are flat felled seams.    

The flat felled seams make for such a clean finish on the inside.


The jeans feature a coin pocket. So authentic.


The pattern suggests using a contrasting fabric for the lining of the pocket.


The front pockets are designed with a tummy panel, giving the illusion of a flatter tummy.


Rather than doing the button and buttonhole, I opted to do a snap. Whenever I make things for the magazine, I always try to think about options for those who may have some limitations, be it machine wise or skill wise.


The front fly is so well designed. Better than some jeans you pay lots of money for.



The back pockets were designed to follow the shape of a woman's body. Take note that one side has a curve.


I did flat felled seams on the inseam of the jeans.


Having a flat felled seam on the inseam gives a very flat finish on the inside of the leg and will make the jeans more comfortable to wear. 


The finished front,


and the back.


The jeans are finished off with a stitched hem.


Now that the magazine is out, I should be getting the jeans back in the next week or so. I am so happy as I have been waiting for months to finally be able to wear them!!!

You can follow along in October as the sew along will begin on October 17th. That means I get to make another pair! YEA!!!!!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

21 comments:

  1. This sew along is so timely. I bought the pattern last spring but I think I shrink to tane the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are going to love this pattern once you get the jeans made and wonder why you didn't get them made sooner ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are exquisitely sewn. I look forward to this sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda these are gorgeous! I have made the gingers several times and I love them best jean pattern ever! I made a Whit pair over the summer and I was going to distress and then didn't have the heart to cut them up lol getting ready to distress fabric now then make another pair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda, these are beautiful! And you are a woman after my own heart with all the topstitching and flat-felling. <3 What a great idea to use a snap! I have a stash of jeans buttons but you are right that they aren't necessarily easy to come by for everyone.

    Sadly I have yet to make a single pair of jeans for myself, but I have made them for my husband and really ended up enjoying the process. I have a pattern I copied from a RTW pair, but I love seeing so many people have success with the Ginger pattern. Jeans are one of those things that intimidate a lot of people at first, but that pattern seems to have made them approachable, which is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your version with us (in print and here on the blog)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work! Can't wait for the sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing is as good as a pattern that fits first time, and looks great too. You are going to make more of these 😃

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely jeans! I just love the topstitching part of sewing up new denim. Ahhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! I've been wanting to make these jeans forever so I might get myself sorted to sew along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhonda, you do such fine sewing work. The top-stitching is so neat and even, and the pocket and fly areas are so professional inside. You can't buy pants like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, I read your note just before I got ready for bed last night. Sent me off to a peaceful night's rest. Lovely compliment. Thank you :)

      Delete
  11. Your jeans are really lovely. How do you think this pattern compares to the Jalie jeans pattern that is so well liked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not made the Jalie jeans, so I really can't comment about how the two patterns compare. But I will say that I absolutely loved the entire process of putting these together and I was so very happy with the fit.

      Delete
  12. They look great and awesome top stitching.

    ReplyDelete