f

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Waffle Patterns Pepernoot Coat Sew Along Fabric Reveal

I can finally reveal the fabric that I have chosen to use for the Pepernoot Coat sew along that I am doing for Sew News. One thing for sure, I will not be lost in a crowd! The body of the coat will be the fabric with the black ground and the cobalt blue flowers. The camera really didn't capture the true intensity of the color. The fabric is a heavy twill. The flowers are chenille with a velvet center. The more abstract print I plan to use for the lining. 
I shared the abstract piece with you last week. It's a piece that I purchased from Tessuti Fabrics in Australia. I will need to line the sleeves in a black flannel-back lining as I'm just a little short on the fabric needed to line the entire coat. The picture below is a better representation  of the true colors. I'm really excited as I think it will make for such a fun coat!
My post for this week's edition of the sew along is up on the Sew News blog and you can find it HERE. I really went into depth about the pattern as I know that there are a number of you who have never made a coat and are feeling a little nervous. As I say in the post, I think that you'll find that a coat is no more difficult than a blouse or a dress. So read through the post and take note of the different aspects of the pattern. Of course the first step to success is correctly cutting out the pattern. If by chance you decide that you would like to lengthen the pattern, please be sure to lengthen the;
1.front skirt
2.back skirt
3.front facing
4.front band
If you miss a piece, the pattern will not go together correctly and you'll be frustrated until you figure out what you've done. I know, I've made that mistake :) It might also be that you won't have enough fabric to correct your mistake, and then you'll not only be frustrated, but aggravated as well. Again...I've made that mistake as well. 
One last comment on the pattern. The pocket is marked on the front skirt. I suggest waiting to determine the pocket placement. When I made my coat, I did not place the pocket where it is indicated on the pattern. My suggestion is to get the pocket made and then determine the placement. Rather than make the pocket first as it shows in the instructions, we will be sewing the body of the coat together first and then making the pocket. Once the body of the coat is made, you can then try it on and decide where you would like to place the pocket. 
Good luck as you begin your coat sewing journey. 
If you have any questions, please let me know. You may leave a comment here on this post, or on the Sew News blog post. Either way, I'll get the message and be able to respond.
Happy Sewing!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments: