f

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sunday's Supper/Chicken Pot Pie With Puff Pastry Crust

My husband tells people that he's a vegetarian by proxy, in other words, he eats what I cook :-) I think he may want people to feel sorry for him, but actually, it's worked out rather well as when he goes in for his yearly checkup, the doctor tells him that if all of his patients were like the 2 of us, he wouldn't have a practice! But, from time to time, I do feel a little sorry for him and make a none vegetarian meal. He's like a kid in a candy store...beyond excited!!
As I've shared in the past, I love the blog Design Sponge. It's just a well of great information and inspiration. From time to time, they do an article on a chef, or just share a recipe that sparks my interest. My husband absolutely loves chicken pot pie. If I'm out of town and he's on his own for supper, he is very likely to head to the store and buy a frozen pie. In my opinion, not the best. so when I saw this recipe, I decided to treat him to a lovely homemade chicken pot pie. He was in heaven!
Below is the pie featured on the Design Sponge blog. It does look great! You can find the original recipe HERE.  
Since the recipe calls for frozen puffed pastry, the pie is really quite easy to put together.  
As usual, I made a few changes, actually, just additions. The recipe calls for 2 Idaho potatoes, or as my grandmother always called them, Irish potatoes. I used only 1 potato and added a rutabaga turnip. I love the sharper taste of the rutabaga, and I especially like how it blends with the other vegetables. I also added a half pound of baby portobello mushrooms.   
Above is a picture of Chef Shields' pot pie ingredients, and below you see mine. The mushrooms were added after I cooked the onions, carrots and celery. In the picture below, I have yet to add the chicken. 
The addition of the rutabaga turnip was perfect and I liked the added color. 
So now an apology is in order as I completely forgot to take a picture of my pie before my husband tore into it. At least you can see that it was a hit! 
Be sure to add salt and pepper to taste. If you look closely, you'll see that I used quite a bit of black pepper. 
The recipe makes up quite a large batch of the filling for the pie. So much so that I had enough to freeze for a second pie. The dish that you see above is a fairly large size casserole bowl. 
The pie is so lovely when it comes out of the oven. This would make for a wonderful meal to serve for a casual at home dinner with friends. Pair it with a salad and I think all will be quite satisfied. Just a great comfort meal.  
If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as my husband did!
Rhonda
BTW, in case you are wondering about what I ate, I chopped up extra vegetables for me, and basically followed the recipe except using a vegetable stock. So more vegetables and no chicken. The recipe will adapt easily to a vegetarian version.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments:

  1. This looks lovely. and reminds me it has been way too long since I made pie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love rutabaga but I've never thought to add it to pot pie. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks both healthy and tasty - and I'm sure was just as good as a vegetarian version. Great suppers for both of you 😃

    ReplyDelete