f

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Attaching The Pockets To the Waffle Patterns Pepernoot Coat

We decided to separate the pockets from the finishing of the Pepernoot Coat as combining everything would have made for a rather long post. Now you'll have a designated post to refer back to as you tackle the pockets. You can find the post HERE on the Sew News blog.
Since I have a large pattern in my fabric, it was very important that I match the flowers. A bit of a daunting task, but worth it in the end.
In this week's post, I walk you through creating the rectangular opening for the inserting of the zipper,
to the placement of the zipper, 
and finally, attaching the pocket to the coat. 
In the post I also talk about an alternative just in case you still feel a little overwhelmed by the entire process. But, I think you'll see that making the zippered pocket really isn't that difficult. 
As for me, I think I need to have a talk with myself. If only I had chosen a fabric with a less obvious pattern. Sometimes it seems that I enjoy giving myself an extra challenge ;) Whatever my next project will be, I won't include matching patterns!!!
Best of luck with your pockets!  



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. This fabric is so gorgeous. Love it. Well done with the pocket placement and pattern matching. You are a very talented seamstress. Cheers, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pockets are very well done. Very nice job matching your print. Well worth putting in a zipper, helps keep keys and small objects from falling out. Since the pocket is so deep, you can even do a pocket within a pocket. Using your (beautiful!) lining, make a small pocket right behind the zipper (for keys, extra) then continue with the pattern's pocket and make the opening on the side (just as you have shown) for your hand. These pockets are such a nice detail to the jacket, especially with the piping. I'm definitely using piping in my jacket. Great blog Rhonda! Terrific pictures! Hope you are feeling better this week. I enjoy your Sunday night reflections. Nancy B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!! What a great suggestion. I will file that away for another project. Thank you so much :)

      Delete
    2. Got so excited about your suggestion that I forgot to add that yes, I am feeling better. Thank you. So happy you enjoy the Sunday evening posts. They are quite special to me :)

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous! Love the way the flowers come together down the center front. Your work is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW...just WOW. As bold as the gorgeous print of the fabric is, one can still see all of the delightful details of this coat...amazing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Terry :) It has really been a fun project.

      Delete